Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Palle Danielsson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Pmon, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    Just discovered this forum, amazing. Its good to spread the word and share ideas and discoveries about db.

Does anyone know Palle Danielssons set up, strings, amp, pickup.

Pmon

2. I remember reading in an interview somewhere that he used Thomastik Spirocore for years, but had recently changed the top two strings to wire wound gut, as these made bowing a lot easier. He also said he used a Wilson pickup, the old design which had different output levels for different strings, which suited his bass?
    The interview was a few years ago , so he might have changed all of that by now. The picture of him and his bass on an album of his that I have, shows a gamba shaped old looking bass.

3. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    thanks simandlhandl, that helps a lot. :)

4. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I don´t know the origins of Palle´s bass, but the last I know he had a Schertler (the old style) and a trusty old G-K combo (the original model). His strings are a mix of gut and Spirocores. (I interviewed him a few years ago, and this is what he used back then, things may have changed since then.)

Mikael

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Palle gets a wonderful sound ... those records with Jarrett and Garbarek in the 70's...wow.. that tone is just something else!

/lovebown

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - if there's any DB tone I could emulate it would be his - it's almost disappointing to hear he used Spiros, as you see all these discussions about people chaging their strings for different tones - but whenever I've searched for what the people with the best tone used - it seems to be Spiros....?

7. Palle uses the schertler stat-b, some kind of very expensive danish dynamic mic, wounded gut (if I remember correctly Garbos) and the older gk.

you all should check out his solo album "contra post".

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The tone I really like is from the Jarret era - ECM recordings - nearly 30 years ago now - I also heard he was using Spirocores then and changed more recently.

I haven't heard anything more recent than the Pete Erskine trio (1993) where his tone was still fabulous...I suppose the question is when he switched to gut...?

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I was lucky enough to see that Jarrett group (with Jan Garbarek) back then. Palle was indeed using Spiros at that time. He was fantastic.

10. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I saw him a few weeks ago (definately not spiros) and can confirm that his tone is STILL fabulous.... as it is on the recent John taylor record

11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
  12. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

What is it you find disappointing about the American Quartet? I've always thought those records were fantastic.

13. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    "...way better..." "...disappointing..."

Come on.

Just for anyone else reading this thread, because I know I won't change Damon's opinions, here's another perspective:

I saw Jarrett's European group twice and the American Quartet a half-dozen times. The European group played beautifully, with great discipline, and would, in the course of the evening's concert reach several transcendent peaks. At the end, it felt as though you had seen/heard a very well played jazz concert.

On the other hand, the American group, while being wildly inconsistent, could plunge the listener (this one, at least) into a different world. It didn't happen every time, but when it did, this group opened a tap to the mystical "other" that seemed to make the logical understanding of the music irrelevant.

The European group was a nice Merlot on a beach while watching the sun set. The American quartet was an acid trip.

Oh, and to get back to the topic, I love Palle Danielsson sound and playing.

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    That is the disappointment...

I can imagine, but it never translated to the LPs - I don't care for any of them - and I love all four musicians to varying degrees. I am too young to have seen them live.

Back on topic, I think the European band was viewed as secondary, and I just don't think it was.

15. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    He uses Pirastro Oliv on top!

16. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
  17. jsamuel

jsamuel

Aug 7, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I had luxury of seeing Palle play with John Taylor and Martin France about a year ago - he specifically requested a Gallien-Krueger MB150S/112 (as seen here), which I happen to own, so Palle used my amp for the gig!

Had a little chat with him afterwards, but he seemed reluctant to talk - he seemed very shy, but I think that this lack of confidence was partly due to the 'language barrier'. I definitely recommend the trio albums with John Taylor and Martin France - there are a few with Peter Erskine on drums as well.

I was really blown away by his playing, he's a really musical guy with an absolute mastery of the instrument. I think the first note he played in the entire concert was an octave 'C' on the G string, his finger just unthinkingly went straight to the note...