Palm-muting a Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Well last night I was over at a guy's house jamming with my band. I didn't have my bass with me so I used one over there (between a Telebass and a Rickenbacker. Wonder what I'd choose...). Anyway, we were working on one song we made, and for the beginning I had to palm mute it. Well it didn't sound too good. Granted, I had ear plugs in, but still.

So is this saying that Ricks arn't the best sounding bass when you palm mute them? Or is there a certain way of doing it?
  2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Well there's tht built in foam mute on that ancient bridge design that nobody uses. Some have removed the whole mute assembly & with the 2 adjustor knobs gone that works for some.
    Over the years I've simply developed a left hand muting when I play my Rick basses (I have 3).

RIC is supposedly going to introduce a new, drop in, no mod required bridge design but every time I inquire about it on the RIC website I'm met with smarmy remarks from the webmaster.
    Go figure.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

my palm muting skills suck, and on all the basses ive ever played they dont sound right. its has hints of harmonics.

so i think there might be something that im missing with the technique.....
  4. Well I thought that might be it, but when I do it on my Squier P bass it sounds better than it did on the RIC. But hey, I might be wrong.