1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Palm muting on a Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    So I just got a 76' Rick. Plays really nice, way better than any other Rick I tried. My problem is that the bridge doesnt letmme palm mute, and thats an important technique in my playing (when i use a pick specially).

What options do I have? Will changing the bridge solve these? Is there other option? Thanks

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Bump (for my last 2 days on NY and then returning to uruguay with no chances of upgrading anything)

3. Then Perhaps a Ric is NOT the best instrument suited to your needs and playing style.

4. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    The Hipshot RIC bridge allows for palm muting and requires no mods. I love mine on my Blackstar, but of course YMMV. Good luck.

5. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Wow, that was helpful.

Yes, changing the bridge to a Hipshot will make palm muting possible.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Take the damn cover off. It has nothing to do with the bridge, man. I palm mute all the time.

7. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    +1

8. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    The bridge mute screws get in the way.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    They don't get in my way.

If it's a problem, remove them. No one uses the mute anyway.

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Thanks guys for the replies.

To clarify some things: this is my 2nd rick, i play mainly jazz basses and palm mute a lot when playing with pick. I LOVE the playability and sound when playing a Rick with a pick, IMHO Rick give their best when played with a pick......

The problem is not the pickup cover, thats already out, the problem is that for palm muting I need to put my palm next to where the strings start, and the stock bridge doesnt let me, since the muting sistem y there in the way, and if I palm mute where it ends, it dampers the sound too much.

I wonder how some of the replies said that you guys dont have these problems.... Maybe our palm muting technique is different....

11. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    You can't do 'normal' palm muting on a Ric. Sorry... the mute assembly portion of the bridge gets in the way.

The Hipshot replacement bridge does permit palm muting, since it doesn't have the mute assembly, but it has its own issues - search to see what others think about it.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hmm. Never had any problems palm muting. If the screws get in YOUR way though, just remove the mute assembly. It's pretty straight forward and a lot cheaper than a replacement bridge. Personally, I guess I don't understand why you can't just lay your right hand up against the screws and palm mute like the rest of us do. You can control your own hand. You don't need to put much pressure on the strings to mute them.

13. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I guess I'm used to palm muting pretty much right on top of the saddles, like you can do with a Fender, etc. I can't seem to get comfortable with it if the contact point is further forward... like with a Ric.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I had a 4003. I cut the mute section out of the bridge, worked great