Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Palm or handspring users

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, May 29, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Just wondering what you guys use yours for. I have a m500 and honestly feeling a little underwhelmed. I cant get it to sync with my corpoarte outlook calendar. can you uys recommend any good software or preferably freeware to help me love my little palm more?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have an m100. it basically just serves address book and scheduler duty, but i do have the Palma Sutra on it :)

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh and you have to make sure to pick the outlook conduit when you install the palm software or else outlook won't work.

what outlook version do you have?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a long while ago, i used to own one of the first gen Palm units. really liked it, and at the time the gadget factor was tres cool.

but then, i was overwhelmed with the new choices, and merely went back to my old day planner.

then my sis, this past christmas, got me Toshiba's E330, and WOW, what a great little machine. super thin, sync's with whatever i throw at it, and tho it is a color Pocket PC, the batteries last me at least two weeks without a recharge!

sure, i'm not using it to its fullest potential, with all the memory space, but its pretty nice for the money.

try looking at www.computers.com or www.pcworld.com for reviews, and if you need insight, at Computers.com, they have user review ratings that are very helpful. also, try www.epinions.com for the same helpful consumer written reviews.

whatever you do, DONT go to www.pcmagazine.com, that place is rife with reviews that sound more like infomercials than opinions.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have a palm 111x. Had it for over 4 years. It is really useful, but nothin fancy. I have GAS for that new Samsung Phone/PDA. Tired of carrying a phone, pda, and pager :rolleyes:

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm still using my Palm Vx. It still does what I need it to do, efficiently.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i had an M515 with a wireless modem. I recenlty sold it. Sometimes you can be too connected.

Now I'm using a Palm Zire and I love it. Syncs with Outlook and my corporate software.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Palm V for me - mainly for the calendar and notepad functions. On its own it's pretty useless, but as a link between the machines at home and at work, which is virtually always to hand, it's wonderful.

I also use AvantGo to collect a daily newspaper - very handy if I find myself in a boring meeting ;)

Wulf

9. I own a handspring visor Platinum. I use it mainly for scheduling, and some other stuff. I was going to change it to a sony clie PEG SJ22 or 20. It has many of the same features and memory stick for my new VAIO. But then I ended up getting an 80 gig external hard drive...:meh:

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm Palm Vx, too - for the same reasons. I use the PocketMirror conduits to connect to Outlook. I was running PocketMirror in conjunction with PalmMail so that I could have an email conduit as well, but the two seemed to crap each other out when running concurrently. I scrapped the PalmMail and have since stuck with PocketMirror and everything works great. And I've got PalmaSutra as well - mind you Animated PalmaSutra has me gassing for a newer model of PDA.:p

DD

11. Handspring Treo90, which is basicly a color-palm with a build-in keyboard. Love it :)

Use it with bluetooth and my mobile phone ( = GPRS, which does about 38kbps ) to do some internet-thingies when i'm on the road, etc.

[​IMG]

12. Me three! My Vx has taken all manner of abuse and torture, yet still stores all my information and keeps me on time even after all these years...I bought it when the HandSpring Visor first came out - I originally bought a Visor Deluxe, lived with it for about a week, it broke, so I returned it and got another one - it broke after three days, so I decided they were junk, and ponied up for the one I wanted in the first place. The extra dosh was worth it - it's been a sweet device. Killer battery life too - I charge it for about 20 minutes a week and it never gets close to dying and I use it constantly.

Coolness!

--jeff

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    too cool :cool:

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. There's a lot to be said for solid, reliable gear. The battery life is sweet.

Sometimes we overlook the simple stuff, like the ability to carry hundreds of names, addresses, directions, reminders, appointments, etc... all the stuff daytimers used to do. I've even used mine as a TV remote;)

And it fits right in my pocket:D

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm in the process of converting from a Palm VIIx to a Compaq iPAQ 3955. Both are excellent machines. I used a Sharp Mobilon 4600 before the Palm.

Why switch from Mobilon to Palm? First of all, the Palm was free!! I won it in a drawing at one of my company's conferences. It has a built in antenna for internet access and email. I used it to sync to my calendar in Lotus Notes, as an address book, and as an archive (memo function) for important info. The Mobilon was / is cool, since it has a color screen and supports Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office documents. But the Mobilon ate batteries faster than my Alembics, and that's pretty darn fast.

Why switch from Palm to iPAQ? Primarily for the things the Mobilon did well that the Palm doesn't do. I am in the process of writing a novel (I know, who isn't:p ) and being able to sync MS Word documents from PC to Handheld with formatting intact is a good thing. I'm also constantly working on lyrics for original compositions. Usually the best ideas come when I'm somewhere that I can't use a PC. Now that Pocket PCs have rechargeable, long lasting batteries, I get the best of both worlds. I've also outfitted it with a GPS unit.

As for your issues with linking to Outlook, if you use Intellisync you can sync with almost everything. Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, etc.

Peace,

James

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I do this too! That was one of the coolest finds I've made with my iPAQ. I've got 4 TVs, two cable boxes, 3 VCRs, 3 DVD players and 2 stereo systems on various floors of my house. It's great to have one piece of hardware that controls every freakin' one of them.

Peace,

James

17. Ah, PalmRemote - that got me through a few weeks while I waited for a replacement remote to come for my Sony VCR!

It is a very elegant, simple device - those new WinCE PocketPCs are hideously complex. I work on computers for GAS money...er... a living, and every time I have a client who asks me to fix one of thiose, I cringe... they're a royal pain in the rear!

Just my humble opinion... I'm usually a K.I.S.S. kind of guy.

--jeff

18. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't own any palm things, because I prefer paper and a pencil. ;)

[​IMG]

but my dad programs these for people where he works, and he owns one. I always see him coding and writing programs on it in his spare time. Either that or his laptop or his main computer. Kind of inspiring in the way he is devoted to his work.

anyway, proceed as you all were.

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Palm m500 user here (got it as a gift from some pharmaceutical company)

It's been really useful both at school and hospital but i feel like i need one of those nifty PocketPCs, but oh well.