1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Palm Pre

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamthebassplayr, Apr 11, 2009.

1. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    So I think there has been one whole post about it...

I've had the same phone for a few years and thanks to some friends and a packet of hot sauce it is out of commission. Figured I would ask the all mighty TBOT.

Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. it looks kool thats for sure

3. Palm created a whole new OS for this phone, which include multi-touch gestures similar to the iPhone. There has been much debate online whether or not Palm will have to remove these features due to Apple earning patent rights for their multi-touch technology. I'm really interested to see this phone in person. It looks great.

4. iamthebassplayr

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah. I was surprised about he multi-touch. I knew iPhone had some ridiculous amount of patents to the gestures. Was there something about one of the lead executives of the iPhone being the lead on the PRE too?

Multiple apps at the same time looks cool... But I can't imagine that it helps the battery life at all... Though the "touch stone" charger looks pretty snazzy.

5. There are a lot of really cool things about the Pre that I hope get transferred over to the iPhone. Multiple apps, or "background applications", are being initiated in the new iPhone OS as push notifications.
    The charger for the Pre is really neat, too.

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I just got an iPod touch...The gestures are so intuitive, I find myself being like "Hurm...I wonder if this will do anything" then I move my fingers and low and behold the album cover flips over and all the songs are displayed..."Sweet" and the mercury switches/orientation sensing is just so win.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think it's pretty cool and it seems to be the first truly worthy competitor to the iPhone.

bc

8. I hope this will be real competition for the iPhone. It will force Apple to keep innovating and stay above the crowd.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have an iphone, but was a palm user for many years... i'm very excited about this product and i really hope this puts palm back on the map.. can't wait to try one out.

10. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've been using a Palm Treo for years and just can't convince myself to make the switch to the iPhone... when the iPhone came out it just seemed like such a step backwards in regards to functionality. Now palm drops the bomb about the Pre and it seems to address pretty much every obvious and annoying flaw of the iPhone. From what I've seen so far it's like the best of both worlds.

11. iamthebassplayr

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    For sure. After palms announcement of a *overly used and lost its meaning* possible iPhonekiller, they pull out MMS, copy paste, ect. in a new software update. Though flash is still strangely missing.

12. iamthebassplayr

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I saw your post in another thread (probably from a while ago) about the pre and did a search and yours was the only one. Thought I'd make a thread and get some opinions.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just hope this puts palm on the map again, i would really hate to see palm go under.