1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palm-Wood Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I was at work yesterday, thinking about basses and woods that basses are made of, Like i do, and i was wondering if there have been, or are any basses made of Palm wood... I know i've never heard of or seen any... I think it would be a pretty good idea...

Could you folks tell me or even show me some pictures of basses made of Palm Wood?

2. I'm pretty sure it would have to be stabilzed. Palm wood in it's natural state is very soft.

3. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Well, yeah, that's true. Isn't alder at first too? I know my alder tree is pretty effing soft. I really wonder what palm would sound like...

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think I actually have seen a website selling basses made of palm wood. But I can't remember the name of it.

5. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    First - Alder, though soft when green, at least dries like a hardwood - stable, doesn't warp into odd shapes, etc. Palm, on the other hand, is sinewy, fibrous and if I recall correctly (former Florida homeowner), is pretty wet. It tends to dry kind of crazy. I've never seen palm used for typical hardwood uses (I do know that early American forts in the southeast used palm outer walls to deflect cannonballs with their soft, spongy wood.).
    What made you think this? ;)

6. :help: :rollno:

7. Doesn't sound to me like palm would be the way to go for use in a bass body.

8. Isn't it somewhat crumbly after it's dried?

9. Yes, that's why I mentioned it needs to be stabilized. The lighter and less dense the wood is the more of the stabilizing polymer it will absorb. Another consideration about palm wood is the end grain looks cool so it's great for knobs or other small applications, like knife handles. The side grain looks rather blah. If a piece could be found large enough for a bass body top, with the end grain facing up, it would look really cool.

This is what the side grain looks like. Maybe it would look good as a bass body but it wouldn't be my first choice.

WoodBlackPalm.

10. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I thought of this because on HDNet, i saw some dude in the carribbean cutting down palm trees, curing the wood, and making knives and little boxes out of them. then i got to wondering, " why not make guitars or basses out of them?"

Never knew if it would be feasible though...

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Palm is real fibrous, but not very dense. I think you could make rope out of it easier than a bass.

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Sorry if my post sounded too pissy. I really was curious what got you thinking about the idea.

13. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    No worries, I didnt think you were pissy. I responded to your question though. ^^^

14. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I think the bassist for Pink uses a bass made of palm wood on the song "U & Ur Hand".