Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paloupe?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arthur U. Poon, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I was showing a friend of mine pictures of my Roscoe SKB3006 from 'BlueberryHill's' website. He's a carpenter, so the pictures of the top woods was of interest to him. He said he has a supply of a hardwood called 'Paloupe'. I asked him if he meant 'Paduak', but he was familiar with Paduak, no this wood he has is called Paloupe. Has anyone even heard of this wood before? If so, is it a wood that could be used as a top wood on a solid body bass? I haven't been by his place to see it for myself, but he tells me it's a dark, dense wood with a straight grain. It also says it's from South America. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks, -A.P.

2. A google search yields that "palupe" is a dense, hard, Brazilian wood used in deck building. It is so dense that it doesn't float in water. In all of the references I saw, it was exclusively used for outdoor projects like the decks and docks.

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Yeah, that was the only reference I could find, as well.
    If you have the scientific name, we might have better results.

It's characteristics and workability are probably a lot like purpleheart or ipe, which are also used as deck material.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have used Ipe for fingerboards and neck stripes. It works well. But not very interesting wood...t

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks for the replies :) . Incorrect spelling on my part! That's why I couldn't turn up any info.