Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Pan" pot on a Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Elaskimo, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Elaskimo

Elaskimo Guest

Feb 23, 2002
    Washington
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone has replaced the standard double volume setup on their Jazz Bass with a master volume and a "pan" pot. If you have, or you have played alot with one, are there any real advantages to having that setup over the double volume arrangement? And, if you set it up like that, will it void the hum canceling properties of the J pups? Get back to me on this before I get the itch and royally mess up my bass. Thanks

2. i've been considering the same thing. i don't think it would do anything to the hum cancelling properties, as they're not very good anyway. the only time you get hum-cancelling is if both pickups are on full, and you have a jbass that has reverse wound pickups (which i don't). so if your pan knob is in the middle, they should be fairly quiet. if it's in the middle, you can still change the volume without losing the hum cancelling, i would think.

as usual, no guarantees apply

3. OsQ

OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    here
    ya, panning btwn pups would be very nice feature, but i haven't been able to work it out without volume problems. since i haven't found a right kind of a pot for the job... deal is that the both ends work just fine but in the middle both pops are just half-on witch reduces volume...

but what is sweet(worth of trying) and it's working superb is coil tapping - just install a switch after your neck pup, which allows u to turn around your neck pups coil - sound is useful, nearly p-bass tone from your jazz!!!