Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pan pots and volume loss: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Mar 13, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Am I crazy? I was thinking earlier today (yeah, I know, big mistake)... could a pan pot reduce output? If so, how and what can be done to remedy this?

Example: I have a Modulus with 2 EMG 40DC pickups and a Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 with 1 35DC (modified, of course). They are both running at 18V. The Warwick is loud as hell. The modulus is not. I also have a P bass with a P in it and it's louder than the Modulus and Warwick on 9v!

Would the Pan pot have anything to do with that? What if I told you that the Mod has the pan pot working backwards (second Mod I've had like that)? This meaning that turning the knob to the front activates the Bridge PU.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know how your wiring has been done but a properly done setup with a balance has no reason to reduce volume.

3. The majority of preamps use a single buffer preamp for both pups. When both pups are on full (the centre position on a panpot) some quality and volume is often lost due to the pups loading each other down. The J-retro preamp, made by John East and sold by Steve Barr, overcomes this by using a buffer preamp for each pup. This prevents the pups loading each other down, and provides the same quality of sound in centre position as when one pup is favoured over the other. For this reason alone, apart from all the other cool features, the J-retro is easily worth it's price.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That sounds pretty cool. Is the J/U retro the only system that has this feature?