Pandemic (Bass) Babies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpcarter, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:23 AM.

1. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Did anyone else stress-buy a bass over the past year and a half? Or simply find yourself at home more and as a result… surprise! New (bass) baby!

Here are the three I bought, all FCS, though I just sold the Pino. Always wanted a Hurley, and impulse bought the Abuelo, telling myself it was a birthday present to myself.

Attached Files:

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Yup, little bit! :roflmao: Cue photo dump…

At the height of my pandemic restlessness, I sold a lovely Squier PJ and set out to get a Jazz. After several failed parts builds, I landed on a Peavey Milestone
    A1E3DE4F-DE10-4887-B7F3-16818FBC464A.jpeg

Bought a NY 121 extension cab; told myself I needed it for the 5 outdoor gigs I played in 2020 :laugh:
    B7F842CD-B81A-4BB5-B531-382C417AA213.jpeg

Bought a Squier Tele and a Champion amp last winter for the days I had no bass motivation. Honestly I had doubts about returning to gigging and playing with other people in general- luckily I snapped out of it! :D
    0589F335-01C1-482F-B9DF-0122E1D4D7CA.jpeg

Recently picked up an SB2. Actually had a good gig year in 2021, and this was fully funded; IDK if I’d call it a “pandemic stress” purchase. But the decision to get it was born out of missing the PJ I sold at the beginning of the pandemic
    ED8629D0-AD5A-47E6-A4DF-629407BAFCEC.jpeg

And that doesn’t count all the books and strings! :woot:

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i may have done the same, but i was into the glarry "$65 basses" excitement just before the pandemic hit and i just continued with it during the lockdowns. i ended up with 4 axes from that 'spree', and 3 of them are keepers, without a doubt!

20201109_123034.jpg front and back copy.png 20210617_121411_Burst01.jpg

RumbleBot, JettBlaq and CallMeAl like this.
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    No gigs during lockdown added a lot of stress to an already stressful time, so I compensated with these. Each was a bass that was desired but always wound up on the back burner and supplanted by others. I got each for a good to great price and I'm glad I did. I am enjoying them all! In order of purchase:

'79(?) Ovation Magnum IV

FULL FR 2 CROP.jpg

'86 Yamaha Motion MB-II

ihb16qxrbjglmykrsu8y.jpg

'87 Gibson IV

ooerzx786qsuh26s94hx (1).jpg

2014 Rickenbacker 4003

IMG_20210105_160955.jpg

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yep. Working backwards - a Les Paul Jr kit guitar, a Squier Bass VI, an 80s Ibanez Roadstar guitar, a Sterling Stingray 4, rebuilt a CV tele. Also some studio gear, an Arturia synth and some modular synth gear.

JettBlaq and scott sinner like this.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

No new gear that I wouldn't have bought anyway. I did get a whole lot better at playing and recording instruments other than bass. Mostly meaning drums. Apparently, the pandemic caused my intelligence to decrease, but I am far better at drooling now.

7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I bought pedals even though there are no gigs coming up :cool:

scott sinner likes this.
  8. So many bass babies!

Actually it was the pandemic that rejuvenated my love for bass. I have always mainly been a singer, but started as a bass player/singer.

But I'd been in this long phase of Americana stuff and I couldn't find good people to play some of the instruments I needed - accordion, banjo, and it was easier otherwise for me to play those w/ guitar or keys. And I found a great bass player. Then I got long stuck playing guitar and keys.

During Covid-19, I realized how much my motivation was driven by playing with others. I got rusty, not so much on the keys themselves, but the whole Ableton aspects of the setup.

I was there realizing I was rusty after the guys got vaxxed and wanted to get back together. Feeling down on myself.

Picked up a bass just because I needed not to suck for a minute. :p

It was like falling in love again. My 1st instrument, my 1st love.

And the stars aligned for me. A former drummer also moved back during this time, one of the best I've played with.

So, new band and several requisite babies! I had only had 4 basses before. 2 fretted, 1 fretless, 1 electric upright.
    • Warwick $$
    • Reverend Mercalli
    • A Warmoth'd Jazz bass
    • A new GK/Hartke rig
    • A new bass pedalboard

9. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    I didn’t stress buy per se’….

I looked for deals from people stress selling, I found 2 good deals so far….

10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Working from home for a year, seeing the basses hanging on the wall, I started to think “if I wanted to sell one, which one would it be?” Once I could answer that question (30th Anniversary SR4), the next was “what would I replace it with?” Never had a five string before, figured I’d have time to get acclimated. So not a stress buy, but the pandemic was a contributing factor.

33D92F2A-4157-43B1-B2E3-E3D8FC333CA4.jpeg

DirtDog, JettBlaq, Murch and 2 others like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I never stress buy anything. But I did buy a Yamaha BB235 for fun on a whim.

12. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    For a number of reasons, I decided to try the short scale thing. Through several trial and error major parts changes, I arrived at my perfect Mustang parts bass. I had a lot of fun swapping out parts, now on third (and final) neck, different wiring options, pickups, tried to get some lightweight tuners, but Hipshot is backed up months (saved me a bunch for an ounce or two; has HB10s on it anyway).

PJ Mustang Full.jpg

It's over there, on a stand behind a couple of precision basses.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 12:16 AM
    JettBlaq, Murch and andruca like this.
  13. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I put together several parts basses. 20210721_130028.jpg 20210721_125726.jpg 20210430_212214.jpg

2cooltoolz, Ed Goode, BEADG63 and 9 others like this.
  14. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    While I ordered this Super J from Dingwall pre-pandemic, it arrived during the height of the alpha strain.

7EAD9C81-88A2-48B8-A052-30449AB785C5.jpeg EBD5C3E4-4FBC-45F5-8128-1B256464785B.jpeg 47EA7B87-78B6-4FB0-A6EA-6CAED784836E.jpeg

RGerhart, JettBlaq, muggsy and 2 others like this.
  16. Everything in the photo was bought since the pandemic started.

Mesa TT-800
    Two Mesa Subway 1x15 cabinets
    GR Bass Aerotech 212 Slim cabinet
    Used Quilter BB800
    Ibanez Mikro Bass
    Ken Bebensee lefty five string fretless 23" scale semi hollow uke bass (started pre pandemic)

Rigs-10.14.21.jpg

17. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I wouldn’t say I bought these under stress, but I did buy two basses during the pandemic. I’d been thinking about getting a Jazz Bass, and last year I got a Fender Player Jazz. It was nice, but it wasn’t quite what I’d hoped for, so I eventually sold it, and replaced it with an Aerodyne Jazz.

A7644C29-3EBB-4BFA-97F9-52EC45E0AA37.jpeg 9B0530E4-D964-44FF-A65C-715715CF6052.jpeg

ShawnG, BEADG63, JettBlaq and 2 others like this.
  18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Oh yes, I got my (Korean) ProSeries Star Bass 5 in 2020. Gorgeous, fat sounding, awesome sustain and warmth. Cost me a little over half of what a the current Chinese RockBass version goes for new 'round here.

JettBlaq, pjbassist and Outtaseezun like this.
  19. IMG_20210804_143305254.jpg
    This bass was my pandemic project when purchased it had a shot preamp, ratty gold hardware and didn't play all that well. I'm happy with the Midnight Lady now.

20. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Who "no" bought some gear in this pandemic?

Fender Jazz 75th MIA.

1.JPG 1a.JPG

Fender Precision Player MIM (to mod.)

2.JPG 2a.JPG

Sandberg California TM5

3.JPG 3a.JPG

Sandberg California Nighthawk Plus

4.JPG 4a.JPG 5.JPG

ShawnG, Mekana, RGerhart and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021