Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pandora as a practice amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have been thinking replacing my Peavey Microbass with Korg Pandora. Now tell me, would this be a wise move? :confused:

The reasons are, first, I have been mostly using even the Microbass as headphone amp. Second, my current metronome is a cheap, crappy unit(the cheapest Qwik-time), and drumpatterns would prolly make it more interesting to train. Third, I own my Peavey TNT130, and if I need to take it to the gig or practices, I could always train with headphones at home. (The main reason for using headphones is, of course, because I suck and don't want anyone to hear my playing :p ) And the last reasons, I could use it for recording with my pc and carry it around in my gig bag for training everywhere.

Now, would this justice the swap? I think yes, but there might be something that I haven't noticed, so that's why I want your opinions too, please.

2. I love my Pandora. In my opinion it sounds great through headphones, the built in drums are a usefull practice tool, there are lots of different sounds and you can plug a CD player into it and play along without disturbing anyone. I've also used it to record some tracks on my 4 track with good results.

In my opinion there are a couple drawbacks:
    Battery life is short so buy the AC adapter and using it live or at rehearsals isn't practical since the controls are so small.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I like mine also and I find it fairly easy to use for rehearsals. It is not easy to change on the fly. I usually just find what I'm looking for and leave it. I change settings between songs.

I don't know that I would give up my practice amp for one though! I think that I would just try to figure out how to come up with enough cash to get the Pandora and keep my amp. If you haven't tried one you should. That would probably help with your decision. I find it to be very useful for my needs but others may have a different opinion.