Pandora VS. BAss Pod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metalsmith, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Metalsmith

Apr 7, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I was wondering if anyone had some helpful info on purchasing either a Pandora PX4B or a Bass Pod. Is the Bass Pods price difference worth it?
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    hi, metalsmith, and welcome to talkbass.

there is quite a bit of info on both the pandora and the bass pod. if you haven't tried yet, use the search feature and see if there are already posts that can help you out.

barring that, it would help if we knew what you were looking to get out of purchase...

3. Metalsmith

Apr 7, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I am going to be using it for practice, gigs and "home studio"(computer in my den) Recording.
  4. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I don't have too much experience with the bass pod except for trying one at GC once. I didn't find very many things about it that I would use. I just recently bought the pandora. I'd highly recommend it. The built in metronome / beat box is handy for practice, and having a built-in tuner is also nice. I also found many usefull effects. It's definitely worth the 200 bucks.
  5. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have the Pandora PX-3 and the POD Pro. I would never attempt to use the Pandora for anything but practice. It might be cool for recording, but I wouldn't spend a bunch of time on it.

I think the POD would be OK for live sound and recording. You could practice with it using headphones as well. Actually, that's what I'm using mine for now. I use it to practice with my band since we all play through headphones at this point. The tone is killer for that. I've had good results recording with the POD as well, but I have not spent a bunch of time on it.

One thing to note about the POD is that it might have some digital distortion or lack of warmth issues when playing live. Especially if you boost the EQ too much for a given amp model and dig in. Yuk. But, it has a ton of useable tones.

When considering a modelling preamp like the POD, you have to decide if you are willing to invest the time into sound tweaking required to find a tone(s) you really like. There are a ton of options and it's really easy to lose a whole day messing with them.

I have also heard rumors (unconfirmed by me) that the bean POD is noiseier(sp) than the POD Pro.

Another strong feature of the POD is midi control. I've used one of the new Behringer FCB1010 foot controllers to set up volume, drive and effects toggle within the same patch. However the POD has some issues:

1. Only one effect at a time - period. BTW, compression is not an effect and is pretty good.

2. There is a slight delay when turning on effects (not when turning them off). So, you can't just hit your effect on the beat. There needs to be a bit of a pause in the music or your playing for seamless changes.

If I had to pick one, I'd buy the POD. Both would be better, because the real strength of the Pandora is as a practice tool - carry it in your gig bag. The ability to record loops is also *very* useful for figuring out songs off of recordings. Even better is the ability to hold on one note. Can't figure out what they are doing - just hold and hunt and peck until you find the note. *COOL FEATURE*.

Sorry for the book, but I have a fair amount of effort experience with these things and I wanted to share....:p
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, you summed it up perfectly, Slave. To me, the POD and the Pandora are apples and oranges.

My Pandora only gets used with headphones. To my knowledge, Korg never marketed it as an "effects unit" unlike the POD. I think the major price difference is a clue to which is meant for live/recording applications.
  7. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks rickbass.

I did have it set up so I could run the Pandora through my QSC PLX-1202 (using a patchbay so I could AB it with the POD). There were certain sounds that had *massive* bottom and could have been pretty cool on a purely sound basis.

But, the form factor of the Pandora makes it more suitable for compact practice sessions than for use in an instrument rig. Also, there's no way to change patches easily.

I bought my Pandora right after I moved into a smaller house and had no room to set up my rig. (long story). It was ideal for practice. It was my only way to hear myself for at least 6 months.

Hope this helps.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Two entirely different animals.

If you want a unit for practicing, the Pandora is best.

If you want a unit for recording and using live or rehearsal, Pod is the choice.