1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Panic and terror in Toronto. Portabass content.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 27, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I went to my local L&M to try a 50's P-bass and was immediately informed that there was a sale. Went to check it out, and they had a Stagg for $75, among other things. But the thing that caught my eye was an Ampeg Portabass for $450. I have no money, but my birthday is coming up soon, and askedif they could put it on layaway, and was met with a negative. They said that if no one had picked it up, then i could still put it on layaway. So i'm sitting at home, hoping that no one bought it. The reason i'm posting this is I'm wondering if anyone on talkbass bought it.

2. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Is it the 12inch combo and the 250 head? I had one of those with the luggage handle and it is an outstanding piece of kit. The amp is classic Ampeg sound, full and warm and plenty loud with that speaker. You will love it, I hope you get it.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not quite yet. :p :p :p

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FYI they made two different Portabass amp heads and I think three different Portabass cabinets, and at least two combos. I may be wrong on the exact numbers, but my point is that you need to identify exactly which model(s) you were seeing before you can research to find out if it's a good price.

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    it was a combo and it was 250 watts, and that's all i know. It was quite small so I'd say either a 10" or 12" speaker. It was like new.

6. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Actually, this combo looks absolutely nothing like the portabass series ombos, but it is a tiny ampeg

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I don't know when your B-day is but i'd go in
    and put at least $50. down, that way you know
    it's yours..

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    It's in literally 2 weeks, and i can't, as the shop only opens on monday

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's a 2X8, I know the exact amp. I was there today, but I didn't notice if it was still in stock. That amp has a wonderful tone.

10. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    When were you in Dan? Did someone buy it? This is very nerve-wracking!

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was there around 1pm maybe. There was a bunch of kids in abusing a Mesa stack in the bass room while I was there.

12. Bloor or Steeles L+M??

I was at steeles today... picking up my gk 1001rbII, 410rbh and 115rbh muahahaha.....

13. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I came in around 12, and at 1 i was playing upon a yorkville xm100. But that amp was orgasmic.

14. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Bloor L&M.

15. But really its 450?

I'd be willing to help out a fellow tb'er.

When will you have the $ for it? Pm me and maybe we can figure something out.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hmm, I probably just missed you. Did you try that used Ashdown Electric Blue combo? That was another good amp deal I thought.

17. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I didn't see it. But i'm sure it's a good deal

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I had another thought, if you want to be sure to get it, that amp used to be in rents (the rental guy was telling me about it). Why not just rent it for the week or month or whatever until you can buy it?

19. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'll be sure to try and get that set up.

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I can't see them not doing it. Most of the staff at the Bloor store are pretty cool. Let us know how it turns out.