1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Panting A Target On My Own Back

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, I'm flying to Kaua'i for a concert with our band Gypsy Pacific, but before I go, I want to just state a simple fact, and then check in when I return home on Sunday, to see what all my esteemed TB brethren and sistren :meh: have to say. Just a little social experiment. Here goes...

Next Friday, March 14, Gypsy Pacific will serve as the opening act.... for KENNY G.

No, I'm not kidding. Fire away, I can take it. See you Sunday.

PS... sorry, should have been "Painting" in the title.... trying to catch a flight.

2. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    Your're looking at it all wrong. Kenny G is closing for you.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

+1

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    The phone is still ringing captain macadamia.

I know lots of cats sitting at home.

I'd rather PLAY with Kenny G than sit out for lack of work.

...and you don't even have to do that.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1

6. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Maybe you should post this as "Kenny G is the greatest JAZZ sax player ever!!...and we're opening for him" at TALKSAX.com

Just tryin' to get this fire started ;)

-J

7. Rosenbergs, H Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
    Brando, Kenny G, and The Catcher In The Rye

8. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Please convey to Mr. G my profound thanks and respect for all of his musical innovation. Seriously, I'm with Toad. Kid to feed, bills to pay, where do I sign? Congrats on the job!

9. Marcus,

Can i send you my copies of Triology, Beyond the Wall and Pursuance so he can sign them?

Thanks
    Kevin

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Toad speakum wise words. I'd play with Kenny G if the call came, and do my best to play the **** out of the gig within the limits of its parameters. That's what being a pro is all about. I've played pop gigs on DB that were an absolute blast, and I'll do it again when I get the chance. We've got a guy here in town who plays kinda like Kenny G, and I play with him on occasion. He's a nice dude, very respectful of jazzers and the work we put in, who hires "jazz" rhythm sections sometimes and then floats over the top doing his thing. Sometimes it's really fun for me to be on the bass end of that puzzle, and very often the audience digs the results.

Rock on, BIGGUS. :)

11. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Marcus,

As one of the few "sistern" here, I would look at it at an opportunity to play to a big house and great publicity for your band. I would imagine that some people in the audience were dragged to the concert by spouses and friends and will really appreciate hearing some quality music before the show, especially if they do not expect much during the show. They will probably leave thinking, hmmmm, those guys should have been the main act.

Consider it an opportunity to educate those in need of educating that there is better music right in front of them.

12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    There are a lot of musicians whose start down the road to improvised music was Kenny G . . . or Grover Washington (first concert I ever went to without my folks) . . . or George Benson . . . or Ramsey Lewis . . . or Dave Brubeck . . . or Glenn Miller . . . or whoever people were making fun of at that particular moment.

Have fun, boss. That crowd is gonna dig what you do.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah! I knew I could count on you guys to put a good spin on it. Not one disparaging comment. I feel the same way, and really fortunate to get a chance to put this band in front of a big home crowd again. I honestly have nothing against Kenny G, and from what I've heard, he's a great guy... maybe I expected potshots like I've seen on other forums (hence the "target" reference); obviously you folks are all above that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to a great show.

Side note; I put a DB in my contract for the Kauai show, and when I got to the venue, the bass was already delivered, in one of those cloth front-zip Glaesel bags. I went to pick up the bag, and just from the heft of it, my mind went "Engelhardt". Bingo! Newish one, lower end model (can't ever remember the model numbers) Fishman pickup. You know what?... it wasn't that bad. The skinny heavily finished neck took some getting used to, along with the lack of focus in the sound, but after a few tunes we started getting along nicely, and we had a great show.

I agree with you all; I am a very lucky S.O.B.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    If noone else says it, I will.

Marcus Johnson I have lost all musical respect for you. May you be doomed to hear Kenny G trying to keep up with Al Hirt's greatest tunes (along with recordings of the late Al Hirt) for the rest of your days. :bag: :p

Sorry Al.

15. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Hey Hdiddy, didn't you post something today about having a daygig? Seriously, don't knock a bass-brother for having some success in his musical endeavors. That's what I like to see, a cat with a daygig saying someone else is selling out. Play on brother Marcus!

16. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I hope you are kidding because I know that hdiddy was.

17. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    -sorry. It's hard to tell intent on the internet. My apologies.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Believe me, I'm not a purist when it comes to actual play time with name artists. Although I've been cast pretty much as a jazz bassist over the years, and have been fortunate to share stages with many of my idols from that world, I've also done LOTS of gigs with non-jazz performers. It literally runs the gamut, from Mickey Rooney to Kid Rock, from Robert Goulet to the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and everything in between. I've enjoyed the hell out of almost all of it, and I attempt to play my a$$ off every time. I've even had some day jobs (but that was a looooooong time ago, I don't think anyone would want me in their kitchen or their delivery vans at this point).

I know BO DIDDY was yankin' my thang.

Oh yeah, I listened to a lot of Al Hirt when I was a kid.

19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    My apologies as well. I just got home from work and am a little tired. Ready to play bass though!

20. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    OK, Marcus. I'm going to come clean in an effort to support you here.

I backed up Serghio Franchi for a week. This is the guy who's best known for bringing "Volare" around the world.

Then I followed it up with a week in back of Florence Henderson -- that's right, "Honey, I'm hoooooome!"

They were both gracious people who put a lot of smiles on faces. (Old faces, but old faces should smile too). But it's telling a lot to say I'd rather re-live the two weeks playing for Petulah Clarke. Nice book, that.

Bottom line being, I'm in no position to criticize anybody's paying gig.

Marcus, man! Kid Rock! Do tell, won't you please?