1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Panting A Target On My Own Back

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And who caused a fuss when he appeared on the BG side of the board and started to lecture people - along the lines of : you can only use cabinets with 15" speakers for bass!! :confused:

There were a few rows...:eyebrow:

2. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    Dean Markley Strings, Xotic Basses, Kubicki Basses
    that's all you think it would take to do my gig?
    I'll make sure to look for you the next time we come to town and we'll discuss it.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's not what I said. Read the thread, Vail. I'm in the phone book if you want to talk to me.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe you missed the sarcasm. I'm quite certain Marcus didn't mean the gig is so simple he could pick up his neglected slab for an actual 5 or 10 minutes and kick your ass.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I took it to mean that if he ever took *any* slab gig after all this time off, his rusty backside would be scurrying to the woodshed with his axe hella fast. YMMV.

6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Reminds me of the end of "Quigly Down Under"

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There y'go. Got lost in translation, I guess. As long as I've been playing Fenders, it takes awhile to get the feel again after playing DB on a daily basis.

Then again, as far as pop/jazz is concerned, I've gigged on slab with Tom Scott, George Benson, and Dave Benoit fairly recently, so maybe that horse ain't dead just yet.

8. You played with Benoit? He's from my hometown and we jammed together at his house two months ago. Really nice guy.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Cheeky.:spit:

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup... he is a good guy. Did he make martinis? :D

His brother Phil is one of my best friends as well.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ehhh... I dunno. Had to say somethin'.

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    So "my johnson's bigger than yours" was out of the question?

13. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I vote that we rename this thread:" Another descent into TB chaos!!"

14. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    who said anything about that? It would years for him to just struggle through the gig; no one is gonna do what I do on the gig.
    Doubt it? Come to a show and tell me what you think, then.

15. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    This is a global statement not intended for anyone in particular.
    I'm just sick of the idiotic Kenny G bashing. I will stand up for my friend and my bandmates, as well as myself. We play the world year- round. I have a standing offer for tickets to any talk bass member that wants to come to a show and see for themselves. Quite a few have taken me up on it and all have responded positively.
    I'd be happy to have a bass duel anytime/ anywhere. I don't care who it is; bring your bass and have an apology ready.
    I have lost my patience with people that just want to talk smack and never back it up. I've never criticized a fellow bassist in print and never will. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, let's go.

16. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    C'mon....really...this is a Monty Python skit, isn't it? :rollno:

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Let's all take a step back and take a deep breath, folks. As Sam was always fond of saying, it's all just bits and bytes in the end. I'd like to request at this time that we take the private stuff to PM (as in "private messages" rather than "****ing match"), and ask the peanut gallery to please refrain from squirting lighter fluid on the fire. Thanks.

The thing is, for all of the fireworks here, there's actually some real content to be considered. Marcus posted in the beginning about his gig, expecting everyone to jump on the predictable bandwagon of bashing the gig. With the exception of one bit of tame sarcasm, no one did, and everyone instead talked about professionalism and playing the gig you're on the the best of your ability. Then when the gig was over, all BIGGUS had to say about the band was positive. Personally, I find that pretty encouraging, and a far cry from "Kenny G bashing". YMMV, but to me that's what stands out in this thread.

I'm going to do a little cleaning up to try to right the ship. I hope no one finds it too intrusive. If so, my PM box is always open.

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Wow.

Chip getting heavy on that shoulder fella?

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea Chris that was even funnier.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'll say it again, and then I'll leave it alone. Vail, take a deep breath and read the thread again. You've had an admirable career as a sideman with one of the biggest forces in the history of pop music, and have played tasteful electric bass lines with him for many years. As I said earlier in this thread, I found Kenny to be a very nice guy, and I understand and admire your allegiance to your friend. I'm not in any position to "bash" anyone who makes a living playing music. I know what it's about, as I've been doing it for almost four decades now. It's worked out very well for me.

You sounded great (individually and collectively) in the sound check. Had I not had another gig after we opened for Kenny, I would have stayed and checked you out further. I didn't know of you before our show with you, and now I do, thanks to this thread (that's why I expressed some surprise at seeing your somewhat unusual basses onstage.... I used to have a Kramer like yours myself). No doubt you don't know who I am either. I don't know what a "bass duel" is, or what the possible point of such an event would be. I've no interest in it either way. Music for me has always been a collective effort, not a competition. Let's face it; as bassists, we've consigned ourselves to a lifetime of playing music with people, rather than against them.

I mostly play jazz on double bass for a living now, though that wasn't always the case. Maybe you misconstrued my post to mean that I could come in and smoke you on electric bass in ten minutes' time. That wasn't my point at all... as Chris pointed out, I was actually bemoaning the fact that my chops on slab are not what they used to be, just from lack of time on the axe.

I'm not a big fan of Kenny-bashing either. Maybe it seems like I was doing that to you when I started the thread. I was genuinely surprised to be asked to open for Kenny with an acoustic jazz quartet. Believe me, when my friends in the jazz community heard that I was opening for him, there were a few smartass comments from quite a few of them. My answer to them was this; I was happy to have an opportunity to play in front of a large local audience. I usually have to fly somewhere else to get in front of an audience that big. If you read my posts in this thread, you'll find that I had a great time and was grateful for another day of playing live music for people. I'm sorry if you saw it in any other light.

PM me if you like, and feel free to call on me here in Maui if you want to discuss it further. I'm guessing that our friends here on this forum have had enough of this.

Aloha, Marcus