Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pao ferro neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hexagram49, Apr 30, 2005.

1. hexagram49

hexagram49

Mar 27, 2005
    has anyone any experience with pao ferro neck + fb?

i had the crazy idea of making a warmoth J style with a koa body and pao ferro neck, or perhaps padouk neck

would that making conflicting tones?

or do i just like the looks

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I used to have a couple of Ken Smith basses - both had Pau-Ferro fingerboards, but the entire neck was not made of Pau-Ferro (just the fingerboard). From Internet articles I had researched before purchasing the Smith basses, Pau-Ferro fingerboards are not as mellow sounding as rosewood fingerboards, but not as birght as maple boards. I'd have to agree completely with that from my experiences with it. It almost has the maple "snap" in the top end, but not quite. But it most definitely is more lively sound than rosewood. I can't say I've ever played or even heard of an entire neck and FB being made of Pau-Ferro, but I'd imagine it would come across sounding similar in tone to a maple neck, but with a little less bite. Hope this helps some.

Peace.

3. I'd imagine a slightly mellower tone than a maple neck. Pao ferro tends to be a bit softer than maple but harder than rosewood.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played several basses with pau ferro fretboards, and I've liked them all. I agree with the 'not as warm as rosewood, not as bright as maple' assessment, but I think it does a more than adequate job of both sounds.