1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Papa Roach rip off Tool?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DbNBassist, Nov 29, 2006.

1. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Ok, when i warm up before playing for a while i like to warm up with Schism by Tool and i have noticed quite a few times wehn playing ppl have said "heya thats Papa Roach!" or "is that papa roach?" i wazs just wandering seeing as i have not heard the papa roach song myself i was wandering have they completely stolen it and what is the track?

Cheers

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have no idea what they are talking about. It almost sounds like a dissected, irradiated, mutated and diseased version of the guitar melody from "Blood Brothers", but even thats a far stretch.

That said, I havn't followed Papa Roach since Infest. Oh, for the dark days of being 13 and thinking Nu metal was cool! :bag:

3. I don't think they sound anything alike. I haven't heard everything by Papa Roach but I've been a TooL fan for about 10 years.

4. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    im gonna guess and say the people who say this probably also ask why it only has 4 strings.

tool= good musicians
    papa roach= ummmmm

5. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I fail to make the connection too, although I never listened to Papa Roach (apart from the single being bashed mercilessly a few years back). Unless they've gone sideways and attempted to rip off Tool, but that's unlikely, they are not in the same league. Maybe they've never heard of a bass guitar lead before?

I think when a question like that is asked, it's time to get them back to school, and teach them about the goodness of Tool and what they have been missing for the past 15 years.

6. I still like nu metal :upset:

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've listened to it again, but the original energy of it is gone and now all I see is the cliches that seem invisible or irrelevant to a 13 year old. Gone are the days of play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II, my brother playing as Tony and me as Bob Burnquist. Gone are the days of Limp Bizkt, Slipknot and Papa Roach. American Head Charge are a memory. Soulfly are diabolical (though max could still write a riff).

Still, looking back on it I don't regret a moment, as it kicked off an interest in music which is one of my greatest passions.

8. papa roach is to tool what michael anthony is to james jamerson.

9. I wouldn't be surprised- they already stole a riff from Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" note-for-note for "Last Resort."

10. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Saw them live on CDlive. I guess the whole nu metal thing isn't working out for them, because now the "singer," is trying to rap (even adding a fake ebonics accent) and running around in a scarf and a really bad looking motley crue looking hair cut. All style and no skill.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Careful, someone might actually think they're good being credited with an analogy like that!

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Really? That too? I could have sworn they stole that riff from the Maiden song Genghis Kahn.