Papa Roach

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by EString, Aug 30, 2001.

1. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm not really a Papa Roach fan, but I was reading music news and there happened to be a blurb about their upcoming album. I learned in that article that bassist Tobin Esperance writes most of the songs. Good for him!
  2. i didn't like them untill i saw them live...

are you saying that other people (bassists) in bands don't write there own music?
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No, I'm just saying that usually the bassist isn't the one to write all the songs for the band.

Usually it's the front man, or the guitarist, or a collaboration.

I think Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots also writes a lot of his band's music.
  4. Flea writes a lot of RHCP tunes...and so did Paul McCartney w/ the beatles...John Entwistle too...

i think it's great how bassists can step up to this, instead of always being the "fat guy in the back"
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Hee hee. Fat guy in the back.

It's funny because it's true!

I have a theory that at least 75% of the professional bass players in the world are either heavy-set or short or both.
  6. I thought Steve Harris of Iron Maiden writes Papa Roach's stuff?

-just kidding- but you've got to admit that they pinched the riff from Iron Maiden's Genghis Khan to use in Last resort.
  7. Hmm. Kinda describes me about 3 years ago (5'10", 270lbs). But now only Sorta describes me (5'10", ~200lbs..depending on the weather).

But I have seen an equal mix of Bigs and Littles when it comes to bass. But the fatter you are, the cooler when it comes to bass :) That's the cool mobsters.
  8. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i never heard that iron maiden song but it alwas reminded me of brain stew by greenday
  9. that was me one year ago, now i'm 5'10 - 209 lbs

man EString is so right :D
  10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Coming from a songwriter, it's very hard to have someone else sing stuff that you wrote. That's why the lead singer is usually the band's songwriter.
  11. yeah, the chord progression is similar to Brain Stew, but the EXACT same guitar riff in Last Resort(it's in E as well) is towards the end of Genghis Khan on Iron Maiden's Killers album- download it and check it out.
    a similar riff is in Hallowed be thy name as well.

the vocal melody of Between angels & insects is very similar to the riff from Iron Maiden's Prowler.

Papa Roach were great live at the Reading festival, though.
  12. Yep, they play the same rhythm from Green Day's Brain Stew.
  13. I just wanted to say that i sing, write all songs execpt for one & teach them to the guitar player. I have learned that, if ya sing, don't let any but you write lyrics. it just feels weird. but the main part is that, i write all songs for my band, & to everyone who says that all that bass players do is learn from the guitar, i say, look at me, im 14, punker & write every thing for my band.