1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Papa's Got a Brand New Bag

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    A relatively simple JB tune. I used the transcription from the JB Funkmasters book by Dr. Licks and Chuck Silverman to get started. Since it doesn't provide the entire song, I wanted to pick out all the variations that Sam Thomas plays. There's not a ton of variation, but I wanted to see what was there anyhow.

It may not be 100% correct, but it should be pretty close, and it'll definitely get you through the song.

EDIT: This transcription is in E. The Eb version is in post #8 (thanks LeeNunn!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  2. Jloch86

Jloch86 Guest

Aug 1, 2016
    For years I couldn't figure out the exact notes the bassist plays during the verse. Thanks.

3. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Glad you found this helpful.

Keep on Groovin!

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Very nice man.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. sleepyEDB

sleepyEDB

Jul 31, 2014
    Metro Detroit
    Very cool, thanks!

sleepy

6. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    The version on 20 All Time Greatest Hits sounds like it's in Eb, not E. The bass plays several open E and A notes, which gives the bass line an interesting sound (e.g., open E acting as a b2 in an Eb7 chord). I had to slow it down and raise it an octave. I love the rhythmic variations. I'll transcribe what I'm hearing and post it. Is this Bootsy? It sounds like the same bass player as the one on Talking Loud and Saying Nothing (also in Eb with with the use of a open E).

7. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    According to the "liner" notes in the Funkmasters book, it was originally recorded in Eb, but the producer deemed it too slow so sped it up bringing it up to an E. The version I transcribed is probably from a "Singles" collection. Apparently the full length, 7+ minute version in Eb was released somewhere too. The bass was played by Sam Thomas. Also the lack of 16th note syncopations in this tune also suggests to me that it can't be Bootsy. The bass playing in TLSN is pretty much non-stop 16th note variations running up and down from the root. This Funkmasters book is great by the way! Love the history and analyses of the players' styles and the tunes. Check it out!

8. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'll check out the Funkmasters book. I attached my take on the full 7 minute Eb version on the 20 All Time Greatest Hits version. The natural E, A, and D notes give a cool sound. I like Sam Thomas on bass.

I think the notes are tough to hear on this youtube link. I used an MP3 created from a CD. Is it my imagination, or do MP3 files have higher audio quality than youtube links?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA

Attached Files:

10. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Awesome!

I did my version about 3.5 years ago when I was first starting to transcribe tunes. I'd default to @LeeNunn version.

oldrocker likes this.