Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cassanova, Jul 29, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its not exactly the gear of choice for me, but I've been bassless for nearly 10 months now and this was too good a deal to pass up. It doesnt sound bad, but when I make the upgrades I want to, I know she'll sound even better. Oh and the best part other than the price, is my friends and I are getting together tonight and tomorrow night to christen it properly. :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    pretty nice man,is a beautiful piece,am happy for you because i have the same situation,about 1 year without a bass(bassless) :p

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What upgrades are you planning?

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

In time I'd like to add a set of Bartolinis to her and the Bartolini 3 band preamp.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

dig the teal green , nice score !!

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nice score man, I told ya you'd have it before too long! Once you get a decent set of pups and pre in there (I know how badly that dang Ibanez junk sucks!), it'll be a bass to last ya some time. At least you're back in the game now. Next up: amp, and then: roscoe! Keep the dream alive!

-Ray

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good deal John! :)

...as I've told you, I owned one of those for a good while, and thought that once I junked the pickups & electronics, it was a very nice bass (I went EMG, but hey, to each their own).

Glad you're back in the saddle bro!

:D

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nice, I've been itching for an Ibanez 6er too.

9. look at his face!
    Is that what one year without a bass will do too ya! :(
    I'm sorry man.... I hope you never have to go through that ordeal again! :crying:

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks Gard. I ran it through a digitech bp800 and Fender Rumble 100 1x15 today at the store after I bought it. Its not the best tonality wise, but it's definately giggable tone and I wont be embarassed with its tone. I was pleasantly surprised actually. So alls good there.

Im open to a set of EMGs in it too. I havent ruled them out just yet. But those will come down the road. Hell, I dont have an amp yet so the upgrades are a ways off.

But for now, I'm glad to be getting back in the saddle. It aint the Roscoe or Cirrus I want, but Im damn happy to have a bass again!

Now my only question is, *** am I going to do with that C string.....btw, they didnt toss in a free set of strings for me. Its got Elixers on it right now.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm so glad you have a bass again. That Soundgear ought to provide you with alot of pleasure. Best wishes. :bassist:

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, that and getting ****ed over again gives my face pathetic dumb looks. Eh, if I have to I have to. Sometimes ya gotta part with things ya love for a greater good. But once I graduate college and get that nursing degree, I dont think I'll ever be bassless/ampless again.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks. The teal green is actually a transparent. It has a really nice looking woodgrain underneath it all that the camera on my phone doesnt quite pick up.

14. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    You look like you're shacked up with an old bag :eyebrow:

Nice bass, have fun.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Getting better all the time. That's how it's supposed to be.

Congrats on the new score. I'm aching for a six myself.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool, John. Looks just like mine!:D Nothing wrong with it, it was my main gigging bass for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

17. Nice score Cass. :cool:

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thank ya, thank ya. I test drove a Peavey TKO 115 combo last night for a few minutes at a "friends" house. I kept the bass and amp flat and it put out pretty good tone. When I made a few minor adjustments such as bass and treble contours on the bass and amp it sounded even better. Shes definately going to perform well on gigs and such.

Im very happy with my new purchase, its got good solid tone, and IMO is an incredibly beautiful looking piece of wood. I love the transparent finish and color. The only thing thats wierd is the narrower string spacing. I must admit, for a 6 string the neck is not very wide at all. Its quite comfortable and will just take a some getting used to.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "The Bears!"

:D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks BB

Go out and get one when ya get the money. I'm having a blast with mine right now.