papa's got a brand new gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Blunk, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002

i'm just home from a jam session/tryout with a new band, they were in dire straits (no pun intended!) bass player wise because they had a guitarist filling in for them and he is a very talented guitar player - long story short he was sick of playing bass.

i'm currently in another band - plays a lot of ac/dc style music which am i not really interested in and i don't have much say in what goes on either...but we are working on originals and i have helped write a lot of those songs and i get a huge kick out of it

so i'm going to be playing in both bands for the next while.

one thing i'm really over the moon about was how friendly the guys in the new band are! :)

the tryout couldn't have started any worse for me when a wire in my control cavity broke, so i had to borrow an old affinity bass which they had no problem letting me use.

but then when we finished the jam and the songs i'd been given to practice, they told me i was in and if there were any songs i'd like to do that i should feel free to make ANY suggestions at all - even if i wanted to sing a song they had NO problem with that either!

i was dumbfounded by that - i think its because i've suggested so many songs in my existing band and had them turned down that i feel so great.

i suggested 3 songs and the new guys are really interested in playing 2 of them (3rd one needs a piano to a decent cover at all).

its SUCH a joy to play with people who gig for the fun of it and don't take themselves seriously at all.

ofcourse one benefit to landing this new bass position is that i'll be getting about 4 times as much as i was making in the old band...still i'd do it for free!

i'm sorry if i'm waffling but i'm still buzzing! :hyper:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mmmmmmm... waffles.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Matt, you <i>sooooo</i> crazy!! :p

And congrats on finding a band that lets you have decent say in their songs, especially right off the bat.