1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paper in Oil Tone Cap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by daveze, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Just wondering if there is any merit to using PIO style cap for the tone cap. I was ordering a few things for non-bass related pursuits and noticed they had VitaminQ's of appropriate value for a reasonable price...so I ordered 1 to put in my old school jazz.

Currently it has no cap because I couldn't be stuffed putting one in but I've been debating a little work on it of late and thought reinstating the tone knob might be a good idea...

2. IMO...no advantage whatsoever on such cap, I like to use the $0.25 tantalum variety myself...

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've had the PIO cap recommended by Bareknuckle pickups in the UK for giving a smoother action on the tone control.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    mmmm... Bareknuckle....

:bassist:

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    We put a set of Piledriver's in my Guitarist Tele. Wow :D

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    my singer/lead guitarist has them in his Les Pauls. i believe it's the Painkiller model.

oh my. DEFINITELY changed his sound for the better! the best "huge" tone i've ever heard. i'm thinking of replacing the P90s in the SG Classic i just bought to BKP-90s or 91s.

7. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    for the OP: my tech gave me the same info that Toasted got. if you use your tone control alot, you'll notice (as far as i remember) a smoother taper with a PIO cap.

8. One of my guitarists has a Nailbomb pickup (in the worn cammo finish with "NAILBOMB" on it :rolleyes: )

While they are good pickups, you should get your guitarist to check out some of the smaller, often one man job companies. Some excellent pickups to be had, at a damned cheap price!