Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

paper or aluminum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jake_tim, Jul 11, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    hey, I am looking into buying a new amp, right now i have a piece of crap rouge 30 watt. its an alright amp, it just wont get loud enough and still sound good, i am starting to play with a band so i need somthign loud, not too expensive, just like a 4x10 cab and a 250-300 watt head, i have been looking at hartke and galien krueger maybe even behringer,. and also is there really a big difference in paper cones and aluminum. i like the vintage sound so i think i may go with paper. i hear it goves off a warmer tone, so if u have any suggestions, they will be appreciated.

-Jake

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Aluminum cones sound much harsher. Some people like them some (like me) hate them. The only way to know if it works for you is to try them both. But my vote goes to paper.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You may want to save up and get a great rig rather than a mediocere rig that you can buy right now. If your band has any sense whatsoever, that 30 watt combo should be loud enough at full volume to be kind-of-heard at practices, and once you start gigging then you can get a real nice rig. Just my $.02

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's definatly right. I played with a 15 watter for 2 years in a band and it worked ok. To be fair we only had like 2 little gigs and the guitarists were also using 10-20w rigs but it was loud enough and worked fine for me. Definatly save up and buy a nice pro rig that will last you forever. I bought a cheap GK backline Head Cab combo after 2 years and I ended up selling it less than a year later to pay for my current Aguilar rig.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

6. Ahh.. Bill, although what you have said makes sense technically, in the real world, aluminium cones vs paper cones makes a big tonal difference. IME alu cones are much brighter and like Dubdubs said, they are harsher to the ears. Try them out first at high volume in a shop and see if you like them.

I played them plenty and didn't really like the sound, but thats just my opinion.

7. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    In no way is this a scientific test. What Bill means to say (I think) is that other design parameters of the speaker make the difference, not simply the cone material. It would be quite possible to design an aluminum coned speaker that sounds VERY vintage and goes into breakup early like many guitar cabinet drivers do. It's also quite possible to design a paper coned driver that is sturdy enough for subwoofer use, and that only, due to the likelihood of sacrificed top end response.

Regardless, it is inane and impossible to make a generalization based on materials alone. It is likely that the drivers you tried didn't suit your tastes because of the other design aspects of the drivers, or the cabinet design, or even the amplifier/bass settings at the time you tried them.

Just to draw an analogy, in high-end bicycles, titanium frames were often looked at as being very flexible - no rigidity means less stable feeling bike and less power to the rear wheel. Aluminum bikes are known for being stiff. If you compare the materials alone, Titanium alloys used in bikes have Young's and Shear Moduli approximately double the values for aluminum (it's twice as stiff). It was entirely how the frames were designed that gave them their flexible behavour. They just *happened* to be Titanium.

8. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thanx for all the help, im just lookign for more of a Vintage sound.
    And also ive already played 1 gig with my 30 watt, and it just wasnt that loud enogh.

-Jake

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't worry about what the cones are made of. If it sounds good it is good.

As far as the overriding reason for aluminum cones, it's called MARKETING. The only reason Hartke ever became successful in the first place is because they had something so different that not only could you supposedly hear it, more important, you could see it. The first thing that happened when the hype cooled down? They started offering paper cones as well.