Paper or Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Jan 1, 2006.

1. edit:thanks trevorus,but i looked at the info again,thinking that searching for 4 ohm cabs would not have 8 ohm cabs in it,but the musician's friend was not so friendly to only have 4 ohm cabs.Still stuck between paper and aluminum.

which of these three is pretty much what I am asking?

I can get a good deal from a buddy who works at a shop,and I like Behringer stuff.I am not in the greatest financial situation,being 15 and not having a job.

For my band,which is better?By the way,I have a 1x12 cab already,need 4 ohm,so 4x10 or 1x15?
    We sound alot like Minor Threat,and don't play large venues,usually small rooms at parties if that matters.
    I am going for a bit louder sound,a bit more clear bass,with planty of mids,and a fair amount of highs.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's hard to say. Both of my cabinets that I use are made of a harder material. My ampeg 4x8 has plastic cones, and my hartke is aluminum. I like the growl I can get with them and my Gallien-Krueger amp. But, I never use the tweeter in the ampeg, and the hartke doesn't have one. I generally don't like using them (though I did kind of like the one in my old eden cab). You could look at minor threat's gear and see what they use. I'm willing to be an ampeg stack of some sort. I would get a 410, personally. It will allow you to turn up for most venues, but still be controllable for the smaller ones. I found that too small of a cab limited my ability to tone shape. If I wanted a lot of mids, I couldn't really coax the headroom out of a 210, but my 410 (or my 4x8) can do it. If I wanted to boost lows, I was severely limited by a small cabninet.

I'm assuiming your bass won't be going through a PA, so more speakers=more sound. In that sort of situation, that's good.
  3. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    i don't think aluminum is a good diaphragm material for wide bandwith drivers. it's GREAT for a subwoofer, but anything that plays above, say, 300Hz will suffer from a very aggressive resonance that is very "bell" sounding. trust me, alot of the subwoofer driver designs i do, use aluminum - it's a really awesome material for subwoofer cones, but all my measurements show a breakup start around 300-400Hz for a 12" driver. i can see it both in frequency response, but in the impedance plot, too. i use 20mil ceramic coated Al diaphrams for reference.

paper is MUCH more forgiving, and better performing for a driver that spans 10 octaves. it's lighter too. for a given BL product, less mass will always yield higher efficiency. so, if you want to ultimately be louder, i'd go for a paper cone. the aluminum will gain you lower bandwidth (plays deeper), but sacrafices overall output in trade.

to get "a bit louder sound, a bit more clear bass, with plenty of mids and a fair amount of highs", you need surface area! get a cabinet with as much speaker as you can afford.

hope this helps some.

4. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Paper is also going to be more neutral. Great write-up.

A local shop doesn't say many, if any, bad things about Behringer heads, only, and in ample supply, about their cabinets and speakers.
  5. I play with Hartke 4.5XL (410) alu cabs - they sound decent to me. They do have a slight High mid bite to them, but they are also vey fast and very articulate. They are quite punchy, but maybe thats just because they are tens and they also have pretty good frequency response (all the way down to 30hz) although they will cry if you push the low end too much.
  6. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    If these are your choices, then I would go for the Behringer Ultrabass BB410 1200W 4x10 Bass Cabinet with the paper woofers. To me the aluminum woofers lacked the lows I was looking for and sounded a bit too bright for my taste. I played the Ultrabass BB410 through an Ampeg B2R and it was LOUD, warm and punchy. It was boomy and handled the lows quite nicely. It is a good cab for the money.

What kind of head are you planning on using with it? Have you looked into Avatar speakers?
  7. I'm almost pleading with you, try them out first and for Bob's sake try the aguilar S 210!
  8. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    "I am not in the greatest financial situation,being 15 and not having a job."

love this line!