1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

paper or aluminum?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sotibass, Apr 14, 2006.

1. sotibass

sotibass

Mar 26, 2006
    I'm looking at the Behringer 4x10 ultra bass cab and ive noticed that there are 2 models. 1 model is 1,000 watts and has an aluminum cone. The other amp is 1,200 watts and has a paper cone. Now ive heard that paper is for more lows and aluminum has a higher sound. But what is truly the difference? Alumium naturally sound more durable and able to handle more but is this true? I also drop tune to C in my band so would paper be the way to go because its meant for more low end? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Links:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHBB410

for the paper^

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHBA410

for the aluminum ^

2. I have never heard the Behringer 4x10 ultra bass cab. But the Hartke aluminum cabs to me sound very tinny. I think their Paper sounds awesome. Its a matter of personal preference. If you cannot hear the Behringer 4x10, you can probably find a music store nearby and play out of a few aluminum cabs to get an idea.

What I would like to hear is a 4x10 with both paper and aluminum drivers in one cab.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Personally don't love Behringer, but apparently their cabs are rather decent. IMO, usually a paper cone will sound rounder, lower, more hi-fi. Aluminum cones sound punchy, loud, somewhat artificial, but cut through the mix very well. I like both, but they are very different.

As for durability, in my circle of bassists and musicians, as well as the used and vintage stores i've visited, i've found to be a lot more problems with aluminum cones than paper, oh and they are rather expensive to replace, as there aren't as many possibilities to choose from as replacements.

4. sotibass

sotibass

Mar 26, 2006
    thanks. I was leaing more on the paper side anyway because i was just told by friend of mine that its also alot better for slap and that aluminums cant handle slap as well as paper

5. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
  6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I've read a lot about the aluminum cones easily becoming detatched from the surrounds on the tens .
    be careful and make sure you can take it back if something happens.good luck bro!

7. This happened on my Behringer 2x10" with Alu cones. After 2 band practices, not driving it particularly hard either. Wouldnt trust them for a minute if I were you.

Cant vouch for the paper Behringer cabs, not tried them.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Did you see the weight on these cabs over 100 lbs for a cheap 4x10. I'd get Hartke stuff before I'd get Behringer.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh, will that be paper or plastic, sir? :smug:

MM

10. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    get hartke xl if you want alu speakers
    i had a xl 4.5 full stack and i can´t say nothin´bad ´bout them.
    they don´t sound tinny at all, they just don´t have as much highs as modern cabinets (no horn, but a small driver for the highs) - which can be a desired option, since many people like cabs with no tweeters or whatsoever at all - this is right in the middle.
    and they have tons of low end - go down to 30something hz.

cheers,
    lowstar

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Friends don't let friends buy behringer.

12. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I've had a 2x10 Hartke cab for 20 years... I got one when they first came out. I've never had any problem with them at all. Resently I bought a 1x15 Hartke and no problems with it.

The 15", as expected has a lot of low end and has some trouble dealing with the high end (duh!). They are clean and punchy. I generally use the 2x10 alone. Currently the band I'm with runs everything through a board, so my speakers are just for stage monitoring, and the 2x10 work great for that, good clean sound, don't take up much room. If I had to play out without the PA, I probably would take both cabs.

Eden Time Traveler 330 amp. (fyi)

13. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Behringer acknowledged this as a problem with the early aluminum coned speakers it was using that they were getting from an outside vendor. The problem was resolved when they moved the manufacturing of their speakers into their own factory.

I have been using the Behringer BB210 and BB115 (paperconed) cabs since January powered by an Ep1500 power amp and they sound great. They're relatively light at 65lbs each.