Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

paper or wood?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by boomerang, May 6, 2002.

1. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I had a test on rhythm exercises in my music class today, and got me thinking how people write music. Do you get an idea in your head, let it out on staff paper, or your instrument?. Or, do you play around with your instrument and try to construct lines?

I heard an interview with some man whose name i cant remember, but he would keep a song in his head for months, and work it out all out before even attempting to write it down, his theory was "if i forget it, its not worth remembering".

I seem to do both, depending on where i am, but the sounds i come up with seem to be better than the ones my instrument influences, how bout the rest of you? is the actually instrument, the feel, the vibes, an important factor in making music, or is it just the means of displaying whats been made? paper or wood?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I make up a riff in my head, and then if it sounds good on bass, i would write it down, so i have no idea what catagorey i fall into.

I think that you can have as many riffs, songs, peices or whatever written down, but it has to sound good, and feel good for something to actually be made of it.