Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paper surround G&L adustable pole pieces? Anyone notice this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 2, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I was adjusting the pole pieces on my L-2000 and I notice that there is paper or some white waxy stuff surrounding the pole piece. Has anyone else noticed this? I just cleaning it off and now there is some stuck in the cracks of the pickups. Anyone know how to cleanly/safely get rid of this?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Man I missed a few letters typing didn't I? :)

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    It's a wax-like compound that serves as both a lubricant and a sealant for the PU and polepieces.

4. your pup may be wax potted to stop it from 'squealing'
    if there is a little piece of paper tube it will be to stop rotation of the pole piece binding on the wrap wire in the pup coil and the wax/grease is a lubricant..to that effect
    if you heat a P pup and push down on the poles they will move slightly but because they are close to the wire wraps this can kill the pup by affecting the insulation..
    i had a kent armstrong 7xx humbucker and it had allan screw polepieces into the base magnets for adjustment but didnt see any paper
    it was cast in see through amber material..soo you could see the copper windings inside
    :cool: