Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"parabola" video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    had my bro d/l it onto his computer when i visited him this weekend.

very cool. on par with their others.

i just kinda gave up trying to understand what the heck it was about half way into it. really liked the ending, though.

and the beginning.

can't wait to catch'em on tour!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...it's a Tool video, that's for sure...

and actually, it's two songs, Parabol, and Parabola mixed into one video.
    Parabol lasts untill 4:07, then it fades directly into Parabola (the better of the two songs, IMHO)

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Im DLing it right now and i cant wait to see it!!!!!!

I dont really consider the two songs two different songs - more like just two parts to one song, eh, either way a kick ass 9 minutes of Tool!!

4. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    I finally saw it, and holy crap - thats crazy, and even though I dont really get it, I definitely do get it, if that makes any sense at all....god i love tool! :)

5. I saw it on Loud on MuchMusic last night. I wasn't impressed. It just seems like Tool does the same thing. Over. And over. And over again. For 6 to 10 minutes at a time.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Looks to me as if they just had fun with a lotta money. I dunno, cool video though.

7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm in the same boat as JP.

but i think adam jones (guitar) has some great visual ideas.

that part with the three guys with warped faces floating around the table towards the end of "parabol" (or was it towards the beginning of "parabola"?:D ) was cool. also, those geometric shapes. i could totally tell that danny carey had his input on that. and then the radius-arms...

i love that stuff.

i like my art surreal...and DERANGED.

the meaning isn't entirely inscrutable, but i just can't quite figure it out.

what was the antagonist appeared to be a cluster of cells of a newborn. can't remember it's name!:mad:

i still haven't seen all of "schism."

so their videos are very similar...but i like em. "prison sex" is still my fav., though.

8. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Where are you guys downloading the video from? I cant find it anywhere.

9. What bugged me was that the aesthetic seemed to be awfully contrived. The video didn't quite feel honest to me.

That didn't stop me from loving it to bits, of course.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    THANK YOU! It was great when Sober came out, tolerable with Aenima, and after that it just seemed like they ran out of ideas. Come on, do something different!

Edit: I'm talking about the videos, not the music. I love the music, but not the videos.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My sentiments exactly. I think Jones took the 'idiom' as far it could go with Stinkfist. Since then they've been repeating themselves.

But it's their art - they should do what makes them happy. Or whatever. :D

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Did they release the video for Stinkfist or Aenima first? Aenima wasn't as much clay, but it was the same imagery, but I think Stinkfist is the better example. Either way, they need to get some new ideas.

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I saw it last ight on TV before i went to bed. I had NIGHTMARES about it. Tool are defineatly one scary band. Today at school (and yes im here at the moment)my freind said that is what he sees when he is on a trip (half way through the sensation of doing a drug). Aparently that is also how the make their clips. No, im not saying they all go out and get wasted then go into the studio and say "this is how we want this clip":p :D. Its just kinda weird if you ask me. I like the last song better, where the eyes go up into the other guys head and then he goes all see through. Man, the background looks sooooo sweet there..

14. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'm pretty sure that Stinkfist was the first single/video from Ænema in 1996, and the video for Aenima came out in 1997.

NP - Hooker with a Penis

15. I didn't know wheter to laugh or barf.:confused:
    I loved it, especially the powerful ending and the beginning with those fat people drawing a circle on the table. It was beatifull in a nauseating kind of way...

16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "NP-Hooker with a Penis"?
    :confused:
    no comprendo

and to be really nit-picky, as is my nature, the album is "Aenima," and the song is "Aenema." sure, to you it may be a single letter, but to me, it makes all the difference in the world. although, i don't quite understand how the anima fits into the album. none of the songs are feminine whatsoever.

i don't really like the video for "aenema." and i don't really like the video for "stinkfist" all that much. i don't think they can hold a candle to their "undertow" videos, where the images actually match the song's meaning.

well, hey, we should at least be thankful that all of their videos aren't like "hush."

:eek:

:D

17. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Is that their first video - the only one in which the band appears?? I'm so bad with song titles....

18. I just saw Tool last night!!! Whoa!!
    Jim

19. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    DETAILS, DETAILS!! (jumps up and down).

does anyone know if they are coming over to the states? i've heard that they were, but nothing has been set in stone...that i know of.

Oddentity: first, "hush" IS the video where they all appear...naked. well, that censored bar doesn't quite count.

also, they appeared in "sober." sure, the view is obscured (i'm not even sure if all members appear) and they are either blurred across the screen or shown for split seconds at a time.

second, now i understand why Jung chose that term! thanks.

Jung described the man's anima as his soul (in addition to being his repressed feminine self), but not in the dogmatic terms of the soul.

i did a 2500 word paper about two months ago!:D

in conclusion: tool is great.

ps-i left my LATERALUS cd in my car at school. when i made it back to my house, i noticed that the case and artwork was warped from the hot floridian sun. i am extremely disappointed. i don't even think i'll be able to put the cd back into the case.

:(

20. :D Sorry, I was a little lost for words, they were really mind blowing, not what I expected at all. I love Tool, but I wasnt expecting much more then an ordinary concert, but I was really blown away. My seat was good, second row centre. There were three huge screens and throughout the show these were the main focus, showing all kinds of warped and cool things that reacted to the music. The guitarist and bassist stayed still most of the time at the sides of the stage, and Maynard stood in front of a lower screen so that he looked all mysterious and like a silhouette, it was a good effect. They all also had a lot of other things such as acrobats climbing up to the roof of the arena etc. With everything combined it was awesome, more then just a concert, you just had to sit back and absorb it all. Even the mosh pit was still most of the time, everyone was hypnotised. Anyway, it was good!!!
    Jim