Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parallel Daisy Chain or Biamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Apr 9, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    When I run both of my cabs, should I daisy chain them? I also have an option on my amp head to run 2 separate lines from my head to each cab. Are there any benefits from doing one as opposed to the other? I have a fender bassman 300. Thanks!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What are the ohms ratings on your cabs?

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    assuming the nominal impedance is sorted out....... there is no difference between daisy chaining or running out the 2 amp outputs.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Where does biamping come into your situation?

5. I have the same similar question as well. If I daisy chain two 4 ohm cabs I'll get 2 ohms putting out from the amp am I correct? If it's just straight from the amp, assuming it's a 2 channel amp it'll run on 4 ohm since the cabs are 4 ohm.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Okay, if you have a two-channel amp, and you connect a 4-ohm speaker system to each channel's output, you will have a 4-ohm load on each channel.

If you connect two 4-ohm speaker systems, connected in parallel, to one channel's output, that channel will have a 2-ohm load, while the other channel will have no load (or infinity ohms).

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    My cabs are rated at 8ohms each. The bassman 300 has a switchable impedence between 2, 4, and 8. On the back of the amp, it has a main speaker out and an external speaker jack. Does it matter? I think that the amp connections are in parallel. Did I just answer my own question...

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yep you did :) Whichever way you connect the speakers, it will be a 4 ohm load. I'd set the amp to 4 ohms, crank it up and enjoy.

bkchang79, can I just check that your amp in indeed 2 channel? I've heard people say that their amp is 2 channel when in reality, it is only 1 channel and has 2 parallel outputs.

9. I'm running a stewart 2.1, I know there's 2 channels.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool amp... I use that one myself. :)

What Bob Lee said applies. You could run one cab from each channel, and each channel would put 775W into each 4-ohm cab. Or, you could run both cabs from one channel, which would be a 2-ohm load, so the one channel would put 1050 watts into that load (525 watts per cab), and you would just leave the other side of the amp powered off (I think of this as having a backup amp right there in the same rack).