Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parallel hook-up problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've got someting weird going on with my rig. I just acquired a 2nd Acme 2x10 cab. My other components are an RMX 850 and an RBI pre.

I tried hooking them up with the RMX 850 in parallel, with power amp output one (speakon 4hlc) to cabinet one (speakon 4hlc); power amp output two (speakon 2hlc) to cabinet two (speakon 2hlc).

Here's what I get: When I adjust the power amp channel one gain (with channel two gain off), I only get sound through cab one. With channel two gain adjustment (channel one off) I get sound through both cabs one and two. When both channel one and two's gains are at 12:00, I only get sound through cab two.

Do I need a speakon 4hlc connecting channel two to cab two? If not, what is the problem?

Thanks.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Have you checked the dip switch settings on the back (very, very, very important)?

Do you mean you are running parallel inputs?

Are you in bridged mono mode? Or did you mean running the amps in parallel?

By the way, you only need to use the 2 conductor speakon cables unless you are running bridged mono.

:D

Joe.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yea. Checked the DIP switches. Not in bridged mono. I've got the DIP switches set in parallel. What I meant to say was I'm running the one QSC power amp in parallel to drive the two Acme cabinets.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    O.k., so you are running with parallel inputs (so one input feeds both amps-remember, a stereo power amp is really 2 discrete amps) and each channel is feeding ONE speaker, AND the speakers do not share a cable between them (this would be very bad).

Switches 4 & 5 are to the right and pins 6 & 7 are to the left on your dipswitch.

Is all this correct?

:D

Joe.