Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

parallel/serial

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaspertomas, Nov 22, 2003.

1. hi fellow TB-ers,
    I own a 4 string OLP stingray and I always had the plan to upgrade the pickup and install a preamp. since I don't have any money that plan has to wait. But, I read something about rewiring the stock pickup (passive) from parallel to serial. Now I have one volume knob voor each coil, but I always use them together as a humbucking pickup. Well, the question is; what is the difference in sound if I switch from parallel to serial and is it difficult to rewire it myself? I'm looking for an aggressive sound, suitable for slap en fingerstyle.
    thanx,
    Jasper

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you do a search here for series and parallel, you'll find many threads. here's one example

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26338&highlight=parallel+and+serial

I have no idea what pickup comes with an OLP stingray, but if you're saying you have a separate volume control for each coil then they can be wired series/parallel. When you're in series, only one of the volume controls will work.

If you're interested in doing this, I can give you a diagram.

3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine