Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

parallel/series question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovin_Joe, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Hey, all...

This may be a really stupid question. What is the difference between series pickups and parallel pickups. The tone is what i am interested in. I have a MIM Jazz V and I think i want to re-wire it to Master Volume, Balance and Master Tone. I am also in college and as some of you know, there is a large lack of funds. So this has to be a cheap mod. Can it be done?:confused: :rolleyes:

thanks all

Adam

2. Hmm...pickup question...pickup forum

3. llomens

llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Hey Joe, series/parallel tone all depends on how you do it. You can wire a humbucking pickup in to switch or wire 2 pickups for the same... You need a 2 way switch to do this mod and still retain your current tone...
    Wiring 1 pickup doen't change the tone a whole lot. Unless you have a real good ear you probably won't notice it. As for wiring 2 pickup for the switch, I have a P/J combo on my bass and when I flip my s/p switch it goes from the full tone to a thin mid/high tone that isn't really useable unless you'r looking for something strange. It won't fill the traditional bass idea in a band, more like a crazy solo ting or something...

If you need info on how to do theis mod check out the free info at www.stewmac.com

Hope this helps.

4. llomens

llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Yeah I just looked at my bass and realized it's wired for a phase switch rather than a S/P switch. I had both setups at one time or another... sorry for the confusion.

5. I have done the series/parallel wiring thing to my Precision. This is not a J, but the number of wires and connections are identical, as the P is actually two pickups.

Here is the link to drawings on my site:

Series/Parallel Drawings