Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

parallel/series switch....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Sep 13, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, next year I'm going to build a custom bass using a Modulus J type replacement neck and a warmoth body. The pickups I'm going to use are DiMarzio Model J's. I've seen on some basses (specifically G&L's and if I'm not mistaken the new Fenders with the S-1 Switching System) have a switch that changes the pickup from running in series to running parallel. What is the overall tone difference between the two? Is it worth the time to add in the switch? Or is it more or less going to be just a couple bucks extra for something I won't use....??????

:help:

2. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, one more thing, I just noticed the thread going about a "piezo buzzer". I've heard of putting a piezo in the bridge, but have literally no experience with piezo pickups. Would this be something that could be advantageous to this project? Or, like the previous question, would it be some extra bucks for a gimmick I wouldn't use?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Series/Parallel can make a good bit of difference. Series sounds more like a P bass, while Parallel is how Jazz basses are normally wired. New model American Fenders have this setup. Also, Sterlings have this setup along with a single coil setting.

Piezos can add warmth and body to a basses tone, but when they are soloed they get fairly clacky. That is your call.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I can't tell you how often you're going to use something you haven't used yet ;)

I think it's a worthwhile change, simple to do. I use series setting more with a pick than fingers, to get more of a 'P-like' picking sound.

If you search, there's LOTS of discussion on this mod and the tonal differences.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Word!

I´m going to let this thread live though ;)

Anyway, I have a MIA Jazz V which I installed Bartolini 57J1L/S pickups which I got from Brian in www.bestbassgear.com

I was very happy with the sound and after a couple of months I decided to try out the series mod.

I belive the first word that came out of my mouth after I plugged in the bass with the series mod was: Woah!.
    The bass is now in series and it will stay that way! :)

If you do a search, you can find dozens of threads which even have diagrams and how-to´s about how you make the series hardwired mod, with a switch etc.

Good luck.

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Much thanks guys! Sorry about not searching before posting.