Parallel Universe (FLEA)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi again

I was just wondering does Flea use a pick on "parallel universe"

I know it's not that fast, but it is so smooth......

Are there any other special techniques he uses on some songs?

What is Fleas most deadly weapon his slapping or his fingerplucking speed??
  2. I believe he uses his fingers. It sounds like he has his fingernails long enough to make it sound like a pick though.
    Go to the Flea Mail, and click on Omaha, NE. Read his message. I dont know what he is talking about, bu maybe...I was at that concert and remember them playing the song, even though it took them one or two tries to start it. I didnt ever see what he used, but he might of.

HAHA! 100!!!
  4. we had a huge argument over wether he used a pick back when i first came on and in that song he deffinetly uses a picK!!!!!

and i think flea is an amazingly well rounded nassist, equal in all areas of playing
  5. Hehehehe
  6. hahahahahahahaha whooops!!!
  7. =) I love when people do that! Esp. when they are saying they can spell fine or they are smart. =) Typo's are great!
  8. Mudd

Apr 26, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Just saw RHCP this past Thurs night. They played Parallel Universe, and Flea was picking the whole way through this one.

On a related note, Neil Young w/Crazy Horse was also on the bill, and was the main attraction for me. Billy Talbot was rocking! Crazy Horse proved that they are still one of the toughest rock bands around!
  9. ah but i support neither of these statements!
  10. "and i think flea is an amazingly well rounded nassist, equal in all areas of playing"

I'd have to disagree here. Flea says he has to practice for hours to get the pick style right... I read it somewhere.
  11. yeah i geuss your right he's not as well rounded a Nassist as i though!! hahaha

plus i was kinda just in the mood to make someone sound good, i dont always mean everything i say, its a bad habit!
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, too bad hes not. He doesnt know jack about theory, reading, or any other in depth intellectual musical knowledge. He just plays by ear. So no, he isnt.
  13. Jason, are you related to Jason Oldstead?
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I posted the last thread arguing this point.

I'm beginning to believe he uses a pick - but it's so hard for me to believe that I may have been wr, wro, uhhh wrrrr....

not entirely right.
  15. and so read my post above, steves dumb moments man, i know hes not it was one of my dumb moments like most of the time when i'm awake or breathing!!
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    He plays it with a pick. He has to practice it a lot because he isn't used to playing with a pick.

(I read that in Fleamail on their site)