Parallel Universe

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just fer fun last night I sat down to learn Parallel Universe. I want to now continue an argument I just read in another post. Flea does not, and would not use a pick in this song. I saw them and he didn't. I couldn't imagine Flea copping out like that. You can absolutely hear that it's his fingers during the little solo part. I challenge anyone that says he uses a pick to prove it somehow.

And by the way - my hand hurts today. Eeeez good!
  2. I either read or saw something where Flea said "Now I have to go practice using a pick so we can play Parallel Universe tonight."
  3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    And my bet is he was joking when he said it....
  4. MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    i'm going with joe nerve on this one...i just dont think flea would use a pick. he plays funk music, and i have never seen a funk bassist use a pick. the only i have seen are some rock and punk musicians.
  5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Listen carefully.

He plays the song with a pick.

Otherwise, he had to play truly sloppy to gain the required speed (which he hasn't), coupled with three compressors in a row to keep it well and cutting through.
    In short: a pick.
  6. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Well, when I listen to the song, I hear (especially) during the short bass solo an attack noise that can only be produced by a pick.

Sorry to disappoint some people here, but this is what my ears tell me.
  7. I guess our last resort is for some looney to get past all the security guards and ask Flea in person.. and then get back here and give us the answer.. all this before bedtime.
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Maybe my fingers are made of plastic and I don'tknow it yet, but the sound of the solo as far as I am concerned can only come from fingers - not a pick. Please listen even more closely as I will do right now. If I have even an inkling that I am wrong (which I know I am not) I will readily admit it.

Fingers, damn it!

9. When we saw them play live at sacvalley amp. last year he used his fingers on this(and all songs :D)God,but that man can get down on the 4 string!
  10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    One last note on the subject. What sounds like a pick attack is the guitar pick, not the bass. Listen REAL closely.
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    he uses pick in this song...IN he does it with fingers BUT is NOT the same sound...same notes though.
  12. i also read that he had to practice picking to some punk album that a former band he was with recorded(if i remeber correctly). I read this in the flea mail section of the chili peppers website so its probably in an archive or something there

13. He uses a pick because i read that too in fleamail! He said that he was starting to practice with a pic so that they could play PU. Go to and read fleamail. It'll be in there somewhere.
  14. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    Ever heard of the bassist Bobby Vega? There was an article about him a long time ago. He plays funk with a pick.
  15. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    first of all if you read the article on trying to emulate a pick, you ll understand why he does use a pick. the pick can improve your bass playing and style.

>>>>>>here are reasons why flea uses a pick. i have a video and he said that he had to play with a pick in the band named FEAR than he said that the only time he would use a pick if he has one and he also said that he was goign to practice with a pick to play PARALLEL UNIVERSE in fleamail, lastly i saw him in concert and on his phat amp he had a ton of picks on there ( not one cause he cold lose it EASILY) who says that hes not the type to play with a pick. i know its hard to play nonstop for 5 min but he does use a pick i assure you

16. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    Alright, here's the story. He definatly uses a pick, you can hear it, and flea stated in a fleamail : "I have to go practice with a pick so we can play Parralel Universe live' So, whoever said that was right.
    He played bass in Fear, a punk rock band in the LA area (1980 or so) where they forced him to use a pick and do ALL DOWNSTROKES.
    So tucker was correct. Good on you.

As well, Flea has lately been playing Joy Division songs with John Frusciante and 2 members of Bicycle Thief.
    He'll also probably be using a pick quite a lot on their new CD.

So yes, on the studio recording, and normally live he uses a pick on parrallel Universe.
  17. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    well i use a pick when i play and im all that matters
  18. paigehaleyrulez

Mar 25, 2001
    I played Parralell Universe with my fingers and my fingers hurt for days after i played the sing several times. Flea's good. I normally use a pick though.
    After all, Paige Haley from ORGY uses a pick

ORGY rules!!
    i am Paige Haley's slave!
  19. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He uses his thumb.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Fingers with nails, eh? Its not that hard on fingers, especially if you have the endurance he does. Try it with three fingers, or better yet, roll the fingers back and forth (1-2-3-2 or 3-2-1-2). It makes it a lot easier.

Paige Haley? Bleh...