Parallel vs Series cab config.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melodicly, Aug 23, 2009.

1. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok I think I understand the difference as parallel means each cab has it's own 'channel' and series is running one cab and using the out of that cab to the other.
    With that I am using a QSC GX5 now and when I ran just my Eden 210 it sounded ok, but when I used both the Eden and SWR 210 it sounded much better, but I have access to more wattage than I need/can use. I was wondering would it be a good idea to run these in series instead of parallel? How would I figure out the total wattage sent to these two cabs? Specs say 850W for one channel at 4 ohms. Both cabs are 4 ohms and this power amp doesn't do 2ohm loads.
    So if I run these two 4ohm cabs series off one channel will that produce a 2ohm load? Is this just a terrible idea?
    Thanks,
    Dale

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nope! :) Series and parallel have nothing to do with whether the cabs are wired one to the next, or off separate outputs. In fact the standard that most bass amp and cab manufacturers follow is that all amp-cab connections will be parallel no matter how you wire them up. There are exceptions, and there are special cables and converter boxes you can buy which make a series connection, but those are special cases. Unless your amp/cab manual specifically says otherwise, you can generally assume that all connections will be parallel, even if you connect the cabs in a chain that "looks like" series.
    Yes, that will produce a 2 ohm load, and yes in this case that is a bad idea. "Amp catches fire" bad.

3. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    :eek: Glad I asked!!! Thanks Bongo.

4. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So I guess series/parallel only matters for how the speakers in a cab are wired then?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Typically, that's right.

6. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks again man. Great help

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021