Parallell Universe- RHCP

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 10, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This isnt a thread about worshipping this song, song dont fret;).

Im not one of these guys that thinks flea is a god (he is good, dont get me wrong) and worships everything that comes out of his mouth. But i just want to kno, how can i get my fingers to go as fast, and more importantly as constant as his in this song? I can get through about the first 15-20 seconds, and them ive had it, im gone. Its an easy song to play, accept the speed is the thing that stuffs me up in the end.

Any help?
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ummm... hand excercises;) ?
  3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    flea uses a pick in the actual recording if i recall correctly, but i hate the way it sounds that way, plus i can personally can never get the timing right with a pick.

the key is really to just practice
    it takes time, but its possible :)
  4. you might try playing w/ a softer attack, your hand won't tire as quickly....
  5. Try practicing with a metronome. This song is basically an exercise in playing 16th notes with the right hand (and not the left since the notes aren't changing much). Keep increasing the speed of the metronome little by little.

Another little trick that may help is to increase the speed of the metronome way beyond the maximum speed at which you can play comfortably. After trying to play at such a high speed, slow it down a little. It should feel a little slower to you now. It's sort of like how baseball players practice swinging their bat with weights on it. When they go up to bat, they take the weight off and the bat feels a lot lighter and therefore, easier to control.
  6. yeah he actually did record with a pick, also the way he plays it live. if you dont like to tone, just roll back some highs or turn down the tone knob. also, try using a felt pick. also, try playing it to a metronome at a slow speed. once you get it steady, increase the speed a bit until you get it to the speed of the song (124 bpm). it can actually be harder to keep steady at a slower speed, you'll want to speed it up. but just keep with the metronome. also, try circle picking to keep it steady. this takes practice, so be patient. my buddy can play some of the really crazy flea stuff, but cant keep this song steady either. practice practice practice (ect)
  7. I'm just able to play that now. Try letting the very tips of your fingers gently skim the surface of the strings and only catch them a little. It'll be easier to keep up the constant flow because you don't really feel much resistance when you play, so it's feels kinda like you're playing without the strings.
  8. Just practice walking your fingers over a chair arm, table, your other hand, any thing. just to get the motion right even when you're no where near your bass. This is also good for slap when you first start; slap the knuckles on your fist you can work on your action and make sure your hitting the right spot. (just as a side note)
  9. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    He strokes up and down with a pick....gets the same exact tone and speed for me plus you don't get tired...get a pick that gives(a thin one), so its easier.
  10. I never was a flea fan, I really do like this song though. I just thought I'd add a mindless post to this thread.
  11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    use a pick dude, unless you like getting cramps!
  12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    JP is right, in that song flea uses a pick, even though he hates picks but he was goin for a certain sound