Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Has anybody watched any of these events? I know it certainly doesn't generate nearly as much interest as the Olympics, but it really is quite amazing what some of these people can do given their disabilities (and Canada doesn't suck at these game either). They even have a sport called wheelchair rugby :eek: , I haven't seen it, but it sounds like absolute mayhem to me :D.
  2. Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    I'd watch a little but it isn't very much on TV.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If anyone makes any Special Olympics jokes, you have to deal with me :(

Havent been watching, havent seen it on tv.
  4. I like the Wheelchair Rugby. Its also known as Murderball. To 'tackle' someone they just ram their wheelchair into the opposing players chair. They regularly have to stop play to pick up someone who's been knocked over, wheelchair and all.

I went and watched some athletics and basketball when they were in Sydney in 2000. That was when Canada beat Australia in the basketball. :(
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whatever you say, Corky.

brad cook
  6. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    So is this part of the Special Olympics? My friend plays hockey for some major wheelchair team... I'd feel bad for him if he wasn't so annoying :(

Hopefully this isn't too politically incorrect, but wow... wheelchair rugby? That might be going a little too far. I understand the supposed need for equality, but seeing guys in wheelchairs ramming into eachother just doesn't seem right.

7. If they enjoy it, why not?
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its not about ammusing you, its about them having fun playing a competetive sport.

Its not like they're forced to play the game. Its something that they've been training to do for years because they enjoy it.
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No..if you do a search there is a rather long thread that started about an offensive comment about mentally disabled people. To cut a long story (about 5 or 6 pages!!) short the Special Olympics are for mentally disabled people and are run by a separate organisation than the Paraolympics which are run by the International Olympic Committee and are open to disabled atheletes of varying kind (ie physical and mental disabilities).