Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parametric EQ's??? What to Get???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 10, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

lookin' for something to further diversify the use of my Aguilar DB359. i was thinking of sticking something thru the effects loop like a Raven Labs True Blue, but is there something else out their all you EQ nuts recommend?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I like the Boss PQ-3B. It's a pedal, so I find it convenient to use. I use it as a preamp for my passive basses. It will cut and boost from 25Hz to 20kHz. It will also do a volume boost as well. It's not a true parametric because you can't define width, but it will let you select a low/mid/high frequency to cut or boost. It's relatively quiet, easy to use, and has good tone shaping capabilities.

It's hard to find, but it's not too expensive ($50-75 on E-bay).

3. Lots of folks recommend the Rane PE-15. Specs PDF

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, I like the Rane. The next step up from that would be a Klark Teknik DN-405. Those are both single space rack units.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use a Rane PE-15 with my Alembic F-1X.

I had a True Blue, and it didn't give enough boost for what I was looking for.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

the Rane was another on my list, but it doesnt seem to do much in the low end department. i was hoping on a parametric there'd be more than one knob for the 20-300hz range. :( is there an EQ that does us low enders justice?

i was willing to work with the TrueBlue, only cause i'd love to use it for my acoustic fingerstyle stuff.

dave,

what do you mean, the TrueBlue didnt have enough "boost"? was it not drastic enough?

7. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    What about the Art Tube Parametric EQ? That was the one that seemed to catch my attention when I was thinking of buying one. Can't speak from experience though, so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jae,
    the Rane has eq available in the 20hz-300hz, 60hz-1khz, 150hz-2.5khz,450hz-8khz, and 1khz - 20khz ranges. Plenty of overlap in freq ranges there.

The True Blue was fine for me as a notch eq, making small adjustments. I didn't find making large boosts in the bass got me the sound I wanted. I don't think it's designed to be used as a regular eq.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I loved the True Blue eq. If you need more boost than it can give you than you might want a different amp or bass. Also, the True Blue sounds a bit different when you use it in the effects loop, after your pre and before a power amp, or directly after your bass. I'd highly reccomend the True Blue. It's dead quiet and it really brought out the sweet spots in my bass. Great unit.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The behringer 2200 adds some noise, and cuts some of the signal. I could compensate by cranking the output level on the EQ, but that just brought in more noise. Not really a needed piece of equipment, so I took it back today.
    Wes

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How about a Rane PE-17? It's a 5-band parametric equalizer, with each band having a frequency selection range from 10hz-20khz. :)

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    When I was looking at these a while back, I decided the Aphex 109 looked really good for the money. It's a single space rackmount. You should check it out.

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Playing a passive bass through an Alembic F-1X, I find I need that extra boost.

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'm using the Behringer PEQ 2200 with my F-1X/PLX and the Aggies. I didn't intend it to make sweeping eq changes, just to deal with some difficult room acoustics. I haven't noticed any more noise in my system than without it. I use it sparingly and don't really add anything much above 3K. Mostly, it's a 70hz, very narrow boost and then narrow little hits here and there. For $65, I got it more as a "proof of concept" item. As long as it serves my purposes, I'll keep it. Having the flexibility of a multiband parametric is nice...even if you don't have to use it.

15. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    The Symetrix 551E is a great piece of gear. I think it's been discontinued, though, but they show up regularly on Ebay.

16. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'll add another vote for the Raven True Blue EQ. Amazingly musical and it doesn't change the overall gain as it is adjusted. From the man who brought us the rare "Mr. Tone Controls" from SWR this is just as kickass and maybe moreso.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I really like my TC electronic 1140. Four bands, fully parametric. It's on the pricey side, but you're paying for quality: it's very powerful, very clean, very quiet, and transparent when set flat or bypassed. Here's a link to one (chosen simply because the image is large).

I don't always use it, but it's great to have in my rack for tricky acoustic environments, and fun to play with if I want to experiment.

18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I used to use a Yamaha NE-1 parametric pedal. I used this when I had my SWR750. I found the 750 to sound thin and sterile. The NE-1 did a great job of making my sound fatter and full. They are about $45 new and $25-35 used. Check them out before you spend $100 on a rack unit.

PS I had a Boss PQ-3B while I owned the NE-1. I found the Boss to be noisy and just was not happy with the sound it gave me. That is why I boght the NE-1. The NE-1 smoked the Boss PQ-3B. Although, the NE-1 is kind of a one-trick pony.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone try the plain jane Boss EQ pedal? how's the tone sucking?

i'm thinking of maybe just going with an EQ pedal to cut down on hassles. sure, its not quite the rack, but hey if it sounds good and does the job...

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How about you just ditch the Aggie for an M-Pulse 600? Then you'd have 5 bands of parametric EQ built in! Hey, I might even know somebody to take the DB359 off your hands for you! Or, if you want to stay small, I could trade you my Walkabout for it, though you'd have to settle for 3 bands of parametrics, then. ;) :p

Seriously, though, unless your tone is far from your desired goal (which I would doubt, considering the quality of your gear), I would think that the Raven Labs would be plenty of EQ for you. However, if you have the rack space, and you really want the ultimate in control, the Rane PE17 is tough to beat. Five FULL BANDWIDTH parametrics, broad Q range, plenty of boost/cut, balanced in/outs, sweepable filters, etc. It really packs a lot into one rack space.

Of course, if you got the True Blue EQ, you'd have half a rack space available for one of my favorite rack accessories, the MDB-1! If you are doubling on upright, or play multiple basses, this baby is a real treat.

Happy hunting, Tom.

P.S.
    Or, you can just take my approach and do your "EQ-ing" by buying every cabinet imaginable, and bringing the one (or eight!) cab(s) that fit the bill for a particular gig and venue!:bassist: