Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parametric EQs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by some guy#2, Apr 5, 2002.

1. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I have a little stomp box Para EQ & I really dig it. Sure it is subtle...BUT effective. I like to use it to go from dub type stuff to more clearly articulated fingerstyle arpeggio stuff.

I don't really understand how they work but they do!

I think Frank Zappa had some of his Strats modded with para EQs.

Please share your knowledge & experience!

Thanks in advance,

C

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A parametric eq works by selecting the frequency to process. A simple one consists of two knobs; one for gain (cut/boost) and one for frequency (usually with numbers). Try selecting full gain and sweeping the frequency knob, whilst playing a note of course. Sound familiar?

Sometime there is a 3rd knob labelled Q. (2 knob paras will have a preset Q) This basically selects the width of the frequency. So if you boost 250hz that is the centre so if you set the Q to narrow then you get a /\ shape with the point being 250hz. turning the Q knob makes it wider /--|--\ sorry thats the best I can do at short notice. THe line represents 250hz which is still the centre.

Some parametric eq's have a number of 2 or 3 knob groups each operating over a different frequency. THe TC114 has 4 so you have total control over 'bass' 'lo-mid' 'hi-mid' and 'treble'.

Hope that helps

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Parametric EQs usually are more flexible but harder to use than graphic EQs.

I have both on my preamp, and I usually use the parametric.

Parametric EQs with fixed Q-factor are called semi-parametric.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    And the ones on the Wal bass ?

Demi-semi-parametric :)

5. Thank you CS, you are the first to explain parametric EQ's that made sense.

WHen I do sound at church *like today!*, the mixer we use have a semi-parametric eq for each channel *like most mixers* and it's fun to try to get the mid frequency at the perfect spot for each speakers voice, I've done it a few times. :D

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome-thats probably the first time i've made sense.

7. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Thanks CS & JMX. Mine (neXt) has three knobs:
    gain
    frequency
    width (= Q right?)

Now my Firebass head has a sweepable freq. on the mids...would this be considered semi-parametric eq?

I would think a fixed Q (what does that stand for?) is less versatile. This is a no brainer right!!!
    :eek:

8. are there any Demi-semi-parametric EQ pedals out there?

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, but given the limited range of the control it would be more... uh, semi-demi-like? :D

Q = "quality"... or so I've heard? :confused:

10. So what's that make the Yamaha NE1?

Semi-demi-para? Man am I confused.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Double-semi? You can change the gain and frequency, and you have two different preset Q's to choose from. Let's just call it "parametric", it will make things so much easier. ;)