1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Parametric EQs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by some guy#2, Apr 5, 2002.

1. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I have a little stomp box Para EQ & I really dig it. Sure it is subtle...BUT effective. I like to use it to go from dub type stuff to more clearly articulated fingerstyle arpeggio stuff.

I don't really understand how they work but they do!

I think Frank Zappa had some of his Strats modded with para EQs.

Please share your knowledge & experience!

Thanks in advance,

C

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A parametric eq works by selecting the frequency to process. A simple one consists of two knobs; one for gain (cut/boost) and one for frequency (usually with numbers). Try selecting full gain and sweeping the frequency knob, whilst playing a note of course. Sound familiar?

Sometime there is a 3rd knob labelled Q. (2 knob paras will have a preset Q) This basically selects the width of the frequency. So if you boost 250hz that is the centre so if you set the Q to narrow then you get a /\ shape with the point being 250hz. turning the Q knob makes it wider /--|--\ sorry thats the best I can do at short notice. THe line represents 250hz which is still the centre.

Some parametric eq's have a number of 2 or 3 knob groups each operating over a different frequency. THe TC114 has 4 so you have total control over 'bass' 'lo-mid' 'hi-mid' and 'treble'.

Hope that helps

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Parametric EQs usually are more flexible but harder to use than graphic EQs.

I have both on my preamp, and I usually use the parametric.

Parametric EQs with fixed Q-factor are called semi-parametric.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    And the ones on the Wal bass ?

Demi-semi-parametric :)

5. Thank you CS, you are the first to explain parametric EQ's that made sense.

WHen I do sound at church *like today!*, the mixer we use have a semi-parametric eq for each channel *like most mixers* and it's fun to try to get the mid frequency at the perfect spot for each speakers voice, I've done it a few times. :D

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome-thats probably the first time i've made sense.

7. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Thanks CS & JMX. Mine (neXt) has three knobs:
    gain
    frequency
    width (= Q right?)

Now my Firebass head has a sweepable freq. on the mids...would this be considered semi-parametric eq?

I would think a fixed Q (what does that stand for?) is less versatile. This is a no brainer right!!!
    :eek:

8. are there any Demi-semi-parametric EQ pedals out there?

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, but given the limited range of the control it would be more... uh, semi-demi-like? :D

Q = "quality"... or so I've heard? :confused:

10. So what's that make the Yamaha NE1?

Semi-demi-para? Man am I confused.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Double-semi? You can change the gain and frequency, and you have two different preset Q's to choose from. Let's just call it "parametric", it will make things so much easier. ;)