Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parametric EQ's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hi,

Im looking for a semi parametric EQ that I could use with my bass rig.

I am currently using a Nemesis 210 combo with an Eden 210 XST.

I really love my rig, but I would like to be able to do a little more to shape my sound. The Nemesis has one band of para metric eq and 3 bands of set eq, and I would like to have a little more versatility.

What are your opinions of the Raven Labs True Blue EQ?

Thanks alot.

Peace
    Nick

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    'Sup Nick?
    I don't know what your Nemesis does to make you want/need to tweak it, but no doubt the True Blue will enhance the range of any unit. I'm giving one serious thought my own self 'cause Steve Rabe knows his stuff!!
    You might wanna try a Yamaha NE-1 & see what that does.
    I use one to smooth the mids of my Mesa tube
    2x10, and I really like it- Simple, quick, & to the point!
    Adds some nice texture- I bet the True Blue would do that & then some.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The NE-1 is a bit limited, although it does some interesting stuff to your tone. It's really just a one-band parametric, focusing on mids. I've never auditioned a True Blue EQ, but chances are it's bitchen, considering its pedigree.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the quick response, but I dont think the NE-1 is really what I want.

I already have a 1 band para in my Nemesis.

Im looking to boost a little bit here, and cut a little bit there, so I think something with ~3-5 bands is more what I need.

Yes Munji, like a real Eden.;)

Thanks again!

Peace
    Nick

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    BOSS makes a 7-band graphic EQ pedal as another EQ optionl, but I believe you are on the right track with the True Blue- I think they're around $275, not too hurtful!
    If you get one, let us know how it works.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Behringer makes a cheap 19" 5-band parametric EQ, the Ultra-Q Pro PEQ 2200 - I don't know if it's any good though (129€, same in $ I guess).

Matthias

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You want this: [​IMG]

This a really excellent quality, quiet, clean, semi-parametric for bass made by Steve Rabe, founding engineer for SWR. The effect is subtle compared to some eqs. This is because he mixes the unfiltered signal with the filtered one. The result is no phase distortion which is very important to preversing low-end punch. Cuts have a very narrow Q for a notch filter effect. The Q of the boost depends on the band. It is very musical. Bottom line, this thing is great for fine-tuning and already good sound.

Get more info here