Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paranoid about your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    There is not one moment when I play that I feel completely comfortable. I always look at my amp thinking something bad is going to happen, like my power amp will start clipping or my cab will blow speakers. Are any one of you as paranoid as I am?

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I freak out every time someone comes to my place and sets a beer, keys, or anything on top of my t-funk or leans against my cabs.

but When I'm playing, I'm playing. I make sure I'm not clipping or anything but that's about it.

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
  4. Aside from two 'aw ****' moments when I smashed my combo into a door (not the same door twice, mind you), and wondering weather or not the thing is going to work after being transported, I'm pretty carefree. And anyone who comes near my gear instantly feels my eyes on him all the time, so people don't look at my gear. Now my singer/guitarist/sax player his stuff, that's draws a crowd:) My sound, there's my main concern...

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...well, different situation here, I have my gigging rig & my home/recording rig. If friends come over my house & play my "really good" stuff, they are aware of what it is & act accordingly(they're musicians also). It prevents a LOT of headaches & stress. Now basses are a WHOLE other "ball of wax"...

~S~

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Shoot.... that is one of my greatest fears, period! When I have a show coming up, I am always way paranoid that one of my tubes will go, or I will just turn it on and nothing will happen.... or some kind of horrible occurence will happen that ends up with me having no/super crappy sound. :crying:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not as much as i used to be. a lot of it has to do with really getting to know the ins and outs of your rig, and using it an awful lot. Gigging every week in a variety of situations has gotten me very comfortable with an intuitive sensse of how the rig performs, and able to hear when something's not quite right.

8. im all good till my rig is the backline for a gig.

it really is hell and often i can't really lay back and enjoy before and after my band has played, cuz im keeping an eye on my rig!

tho, i have to say, I am proud of my baby lasting 13 hours for one show!
    some guy put his beer ontop of the head... i jumped on stage and said "no sir."
    "oh yeah.. thats probably a bad idea yeah?"

:meh: :rolleyes:

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I wouldn't call myself "paranoid"; just "concerned". :D

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    During practice I sometimes spend too much time staring at my rig grimacing thoughtfully wondering if something's going to blow up, or my head's going to explode. I should know by know the rattling is just the house shaking apart, but I never quite got over my experiences owning SWR gear.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I think a lot of it has to do with having an adequate rig. I take some flack (most of it deserved - :p ) for promoting having enough power/speakers for the gig and having extra if possible. However, It 's much easier to be laid back about it when you have a rig that's more than adequate for the application. Think of it as an automobile. If you were driving a GEO in an off road race that demanded speeds of 110 MPH, you'd probably be a bit concerned that the car would blow up, or simply be inadequate. Conversely, you wouldnt be so concerned using a performance off road vehicle, and when driving that vehicle in normal 65 MPH highway conditions, you wouldnt give a second thought to the idea that you might be pushing it too hard. I'm much less concerned using a rig that puts out 1K watts in the configuration i use it in into 3 very good cabinets than i was when using a 200 watt rig into less rugged ones.

The other thing to consider is that most of the professional gear out there today is meant to be used for a long period of time. A good deal of the gear we have available to us these days is on a par with professional PA systems (which also contain preamps, power amps, and speakers), and these can run all day long at an outdoor gig supporting a dozen bands one after the other. So can my rig.

12. Nope, I don't give it a second thought. I built my rig to push the envelope and if a weak link in the chain blows, so much the better. I'll replace it with something that can handle the pressure.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I am.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not really.

I brought my amp head in from the trunk of my car this morning...it's been in there for over a month. I mean, except for shows or band practice. No problems at all.

My cab is fairly new, and after having used the same 4x10 for about 12 years, I'm still building up a level of trust, but I'm not paranoid about it. I'm just feeling out what it can do and how it reacts in different settings.

The only person who ever tries to use my amp as an end-table is my lead singer and I correct her in a firm, yet positive manner. Eventually, she'll get it right.

15. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm more surprised when everything DOES work.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I never really think about my amp after I set it and dial in. It has not let me down so far, and its a tube amp too :p . Unless my amp starts to sound bad, I feel its quite reliable. I'm more worried about my back when packing it outta there :p .

17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    there is a quick answer bring a back up. I usually leave my EA IAMP350 in the back of my truck, if there is a problem I can always run out and grab it.

Then there is no need to worry, I have in the past had to go direct into the PA because of problems I now carry a cheap DI as well.

If your prepared you can deal with anything that comes up!!!

18. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    What you fear will come to pass.

19. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm not worried I'll blow anything up, I trust my gear and I don't push it as hard as it will go, and ever since my guitar players amp blew up at a gig, I've always plugged into a surge protector.

However my drummer likes to put things on top of my amp.

Like open beers.

And he puts his sweaty shirts on my guitar players rig.

He'll learn eventually. After we put enough severed drum sticks in his bed.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The other day at a gig at where pretty much all the bands had their amps plugged in at all times, the soundman later came to me and told me after the show that he was worried the circuit was going to blow. I got out my surge protector and proudly told him "I use this so that if your equippment blows, mine doesnt" :p