Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pardon Me, My Age is Showing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peabody, Sep 8, 2005.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'm in my mid 40's and picked up my bass again about 5 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. I play with the same guys I played with in high school and although we only get to play together a couple of times a year (still doing the classic rock thing), that's okay. We have a blast when we do play.

As a habit, whenever I go to one of the local guitar shops, I always check the bulletin boards to see who's looking for bass players...I'm not looking for a band, mind you, but it's fun to read the ads.

Herein lies my age problem. I read these ads and of course the bands looking for bassists list their influences and who they're covering. I read these and realize I don't recognize one band name. Not one, nada, zilch, zero. What's up with that?

I was just wondering if it's just me, or if anyone suffers from this cluelessness. I admit, my radio never leaves the local classic rock station, which I'm sure contributes to my naivete, but I'm hoping it's not just me. Can you help an old guy out?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It ain't just you! I'm 41, play in a classic rock band that gigs regularly, listen to all types of music, but have no clue who most of these new "influences" are. If it weren't for BP Magazine, I probably would never have heard of any of them.

3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When an ad lists "Green Day" as a classic band, I know I'm too old. Its not just you. sigh...youth is wasted on the young.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I play in a 5-piece band in which I, at 47, am in the middle, two older guys in their 50s and two younger guys in their 40s. The band has been together 15 years, we average 6 gigs a month, making an average of $200 each, per gig. We play Beatles/British Invasion stuff. We have a large following, all ages. I met my wife(just celebrated our 2nd anniversary in June)at a gig, she turns 25 next week. Till a few months ago I was also in an original band. We sold lots of CDs worldwide, are on a UK sampler, and had a song featured on "Veronica Mars" TV show. The guys in this band were younger than me but not by much.
    I suggest that you put an ad up looking for similar age people to play with.
    Rock On.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Reading this gives me hope. I've been holding off on this type of venture, as I want my two teenagers to graduate first. I'm not sure why, it shouldnt make a difference. Guess is just the "responsible dad" in me.

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    McHack, a couple of the guys in my band have high school kids, two of them are in the orchestra and play with us sometimes, one guy has his kid carry his guitars, ha!

7. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    On the positive side, the classic rock stuff isn't going away any time soon.
    How many of you have added "current" material to your set lists only to get the "blank stare" from the audience. Then you play an oldie with great response from all age groups.
    I think there are fewer songs that will stand the test of time nowadays compared to the late fifties to early eighties. I think what happened to radio is the biggest reason why.

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I'm in that situation and I'm 17. :p

And if i may quote frasier's roz:

For your information classic rock happens to be both classic, and it rocks!

9. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks everyone, I'm beginning to feel a little better.

Here's my classic rock story of the day. We had a blood drive at my company yesterday. As they're prepping me to give blood, a radio they have on in the room (of course tuned to our local classic rock station) starts to play Free Bird. I'm thinking how cool is that...giving blood while listening to Free Bird. I thought to myself, the only thing cooler would be to hear Stairway to Heaven....well, sure enough, STH starts playing right after Free Bird.

Do you know how hard it is play air guitar to Jimmy Page's STH solo lying on a cot with a needle in your arm? Trust me, it's tough (but I managed). Over and out.

10. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i'm forty six, and am the oldest member, by far, of my band, subvinyl. the youngest is the lead geet, at twenty six, and the others run the early to mid thirties.
    i have the same thing happen, but i don't mind...as long as i get to hear the song once or twice, i'm cool with it, if we end up jamming on it.
    i think my being old enough to be the band dad helps...far fewer things confuse me, musically, and i have less inclination to wank, so i'm considered a pretty good bass player...:D

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You like Free Bird?

12. Don't worry about that! I bet a lot of us bass players have teenagers about to graduate high school. Scattered all over the country. Just check our tour calendar for 1987.

Randy

13. Hey I'm 31. I just watched the MTV Video Music Awards and outside of Greenday, I didn't know any of the bands.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I'm 17 and I don't know half the bands kids talk about. I can't handle all that grindmetalhardcore stuff, it's just obnoxious.

15. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Absolutely. I play with a group of guys once or twice a year. We usually have one night of practice to put 3 sets of music together. Any song that we can play that takes up 15 minutes is okay in my book. Not to mention, I get to do the "How 'bout you?" part in the last verse...it's the highlight of my night. I have simple pleasures. :cool:

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wait...
    Was this stuff "classic rock" when ya'll started playing?
    :D

-Ray

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

LOL...Nope. I'm pretty much playing a setlist (with a few exceptions) that I may have played in 1977!

Plus one on the Freebird. I'm a classic rock guy through and through, but I can't stand that fuggin song . If ONE MORE drunk yells that song out (except Tim Cole, who does it just to be a smartass), he's gonna get a "free bird" of the middle finger variety.

18. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I can relate, I'm 51 and I joined a Classic Rock band last year. Now 90% of the stuff was just like someone else posted"off a set list that could have been 1977", but I also see Interstate Love Song, Higher, Fine Again, It's Been Awhile, She Hates Me, When I'm Gone and I didn't have a clue what these song were and who did them. I like playing them now, but It was a large dose of culture shock.

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm having a similar issue with a couple of my band mates. I just turned 22 monday...and our drummer is 40 and our rhythm guitarist is 38.

They start talking about how this is going to the their last band and how it's not worth all the trouble.

I hate it because I cant make any form of arguement because "I'm 22" that makes any good point I can make null and void.

Bleh

I even had to use munji's sig quote from butthead last night because we're having major issues with our singer and the geetarist is wanting to quit playing in bands all together.

it's very annoying on all fronts

20. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    HA HA!

Seriously though Peabody I have run into SO MANY baby boomers, musiciand and non-musicians who believe that "classic rock" is the best stuff since sliced bread. Those same people will immediately dismiss something newer or God forbid, heavy.

I think Billy Joel had it right the whole time(well since 1980 anyway)....It's Still Rock & Roll To Me.

It seems to me that you sorta pigeon-holed yourself into that era of music and find yourself dated because you don't listen and absorb the new.

Sorry if I am wrong, that is just what I got out of your OP.

Hope this helps,

DCat

(I am gen-x, by the way)