1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pardon me while I hang my head in shame.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    So I stripped a couple screws on my basses, but the good news is that I got them out. I've been dragging these screws around to every Home Depot and Lowes I come across, but I can't find anything close. I have to turn to the internet now. Do I look for the part it came off of, or do I look for it's measurements? If it's the latter, what do I measure?

2. Can you be more specific as to,which screws were talking about?

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    There are a couple Ace Hardware stores in my area that have a very good selection of screws, and one True-Value that does also. These stores have a greater variety than other stores of the same franchise.

Otherwise, places like Stewart MacDonald specialize in instrument hardware.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Try a music store....maybe GC?

good luck.

5. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    One came off the truss rod cover of my Ibanez GSR200, and the other is the screw from the string tree of my Squier Bronco.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Radio control Hobby shops are notorious for tiny screws. ;)

7. How do you "strip" a wood screw? Do you mean the phillips-head is all boogered-up?

8. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Bingo.

9. OK, one of the lessons here is to discard screwdrivers when the tips get worn. It may not be the case here, but a worn Philips head is highly likely to result in buggered up screw heads.

Next, you need to have a variety of screwdriver tips. In Philips, the correct tip for the screw is usually one which appears to be slightly larger than the screw head recess. Under-size tips often result in damage.

If neither of these are the case, please pardon me for mentioning them - but it may help others.

I think a Guitar Center would be a good place to go. Take your instrument with you and they might even be able to find a screw that matches.

10. Google: "Fender Pickguard screws". You're probably looking for #4 Oval-head Philips.

A bunch of places have them. StewMac.com probably has the widest variety.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Probably best for new screws. But for free screws or maybe a dime to 25 cents pad over to you local guitlar repair guys. If these guys have been in business for any time at all they accumulate a junk box filled with tiny screws and odd gizmos. Take your old screws so they can match them.

When my Alembic came with gold hardware but chrome plated screws that is how I scored gold screws. (Alembic apparently doesn't know where to buy gold screws)

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, i have boxes and drawers full of those screws in various sizes and shapes, accumulated over the years.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This. My local L&M tech used to supply me with odds and ends like that all the time, he had a drawer full of them. Any Fender certified tech (or really any tech) should have a box full, if they aren't free they should be darned close.

14. most music stores that do repairs may have them, but I'd be careful about walking into GC and asking for a screw. You may end up with more than you asked for. :D

15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I once needed a truss adjustment tool but GC didn't give me one with my bass, walked into GC and asked the tech and he showed me what I needed. I asked him if I could buy one and he said keep it. The GC tech may not be the best but his toolbox is full of screws and parts ETC.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Don't go to GC (they usually farm out to a local luthier anyway). Find a local tech who is bound to have drawers full of the screws that you need. Every luthier I know has a stash of parts. A lot of them can't be purchased anymore, and I can often get them for free if I bring instruments to them to work on.

17. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    This price;

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore/screws.html

Good selection, fair prices, I just had to order some setscrews for bridge height that were missing on a used ESP LTD B302 I just bought. Also, for that particular bass and some others, the screws for the adjustment cover aren't flathead or ovalheads, they're roundheads or panheads (flat hole, not countersunk like on a pick guard). No relationship other than being a happy customer.

Edit; hardly anybody carries the setscrews for bridges, or at least I couldn't readily find them anywhere else.