Pardon me while I vent...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry folks, but I just need to take a moment to piss and moan. I'm in a funk with no skunk, and I'm not seeing any daylight coming over the low-end horizon anytime soon... so please pardon this blatant attemt to draw <strike>sympathy</strike> empathy from fellow low-end junkies. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in this sort of fix before.

I don't have a bass. :(
    I probably won't be able to get one within the next year. :crying:
    It is making me SICK. :bawl:

I've posted the scenario before... I haven't played in over a decade, and the itch hit me like a sledgehammer this summer and hasn't let up. But the timing has just been terrible. I just got married this summer, and wifey is finishing up school (not working)... other stuff keeps coming up that sucks away the cash. Unexpected expenses, needs, etc. Wifey needed a car, that couldn't be avoided... so that fat tax return & bonus that I have coming will be sucked into paying that off. Its always something, and as much as I want to feed my urge to play again, I have to keep my priorities in order.

Its frustrating, y'all. I was close to getting my paws around an MTD Kingston 5'er of my own earlier this year, but just as soon as I had the loot *wham* things came up that took priority and loot. Now its to the point where I can't even scratch up enough extra cash to buy a POS starter set to keep me occupied. I'm at that point where I'm ready to take what I can get until I can get what I want... but right now I'm getting squat.

Hopefully the finances will level back out soon and I can start scatching together some cash here and there and let it stack up, and once wifey finishes school in May and starts working things should be looking up and perhaps I'll have a firm grip on a nice rig.

I'll tell you one thing though, I'm gonna have my axe before there is any pitter patter of little crumbsnatcher feet in our home.

Until then, I wait patiently.

Thanks for <strike>listening</strike> reading. I need encouragement. Feed me your similar low-end-depravation-sob-stories. MISERY LOVES COMPANY, BLAST IT!

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    $109 SX bass. $100 Peavy Microbass.

Im sure you can justify this to yourself.
  3. You're price quotes are a little on the low side. But definitely a valid combination.

4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I was making quick GBP -> USD conversions, Ill dig out some better prices.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id say the prices are accurate. You are in Australia, remember.
  6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    When we married I had 1 bass and a Peavey amp. I made over $10,000.00 a year playing in bands the first 7 yrs. we were married. I had a day gig as a tool and Die Maker. Between her coke habit, her eating disorder, the house we had to buy because it had a pool, the cars she had to have and the one positive, the two wonderful children, I couldn't afford to buy another amp let alone another bass. Mind you we lost everything because I was stupid enough to let her take care of the financies. Now I have a new wife of 15 yrs. 8 basses 4 amps and tons of assorted toys, the most important thing to me at this point is the woman that I married the second time. If you really love your wife, think about life without her. My wife has a medical condition that will end her life early. Not trying to be a Buzz kill, just saying enjoy every miniute you have with your loved one and take life for what is is with what you can afford and have. Sometimes the greatest treasures are not always that new bass or amp. Have a fantastic Xmas all, my wife and I will. We enjoy every minute we can. God Bless and a merry holiday season to all.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a touching story. Merry christmas and good luck to you all.
  8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Wonderful story! I, too, used to be extremely active but one day decided to get out of actively "gigging" and go to work for a label. Sold my equipment (everything!) and didn't touch a bass for nearly 12 years. One day the bug hit me again and it was "off to the races" so to speak. Fortunately, my Wife recognized how important it was to me and was very supportive. As i gather more and more junk I am constantly reminded that, without her, none of this would be possible. As well, it also reminds me of a friend who was so wrapped up in the "almighty dollar" that he lost sight of family and one day dropped dead (worked himself to death at the pleasant age of 49). It is my sincere hope that both you and your Wife enjoy every minute you have together. As a 54 year old "old fart", I am slowly becomming aware that I have more years behind me that I do ahead of me and try to live my life accordingly. God Bless you and yours! Merry Christmas!
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I strongly suggest that you just get the absolute cheapest decent bass you can find. When I was young and single, I went through boutique basses like a hot knife through butter.
    Now that I'm a married man with expenses and a wife to satisfy and $6,000+ in daycare to pay, I have to pinch and scrimp to get a bass in the $500-800 range. What I have found is that cheaper basses often sound very close to higher end axes. Today, I played a $159 Cort P-bass that had a great maple neck with good fret work that sounded as good as the MIM P-bass I used to have that cost more than twice as much. You don't need a Fodera, Sadowsky, Ritter, or a custom shop Fender to get your groove on. Play what ever you can lay your hands on and give thanks that you are alive to and can enjoy music. :bassist:

To the guy with the wife with health issues, God bless you and happy holidays. :)
  10. I am happy to see that the Christmas spirit is beginning to settle in on everyone.

As Tiny Tim said, as penned by Charles Dickens in his famous Christmas story..."God Bless us all. Everyone!"

((now I've done it. I'm getting all blithering sentimental)) :bawl: :bawl:

11. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Well said! Believe me, as much as I'd like to explore my hobby, I have my priorities straight, and my wife comes before all other trivial stuff. Who knows, I might be able to get an axe sooner than expected... but I can't really complain at all, because I already have the important things in life.