1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parent Be-friending their kid's friends.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 30, 2005.

1. What Bruce said.

I refuse to talk to anybody under the age of 20 just in case I get suspected of trying to pick them up.

What would worry me is that 17 year olds are pretty dull. Interested in pretty dull things and if a 49 year old man enjoys talking to them, it doesn't say much about him.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hi Andy!!

I agree - you need to have a bit of experience to be worth talking to really -- but I resent the assumption that everything on the internet is for the young....:mad:

I think we should try to convince Paul that they have enough sites like TabCrawler etc. and that we should tell those pesky kids to :

Get the hell off my lawn!!

:)

3. ..as he throws the virtual beer cans at passing youth.

Mike

4. While I can understand that some younger members of this board might seem dull to your obviously superior self, I am going to say that your post is the lamest I have ever read on TB.
    *sigh* seems like there is little winning with anyone these days. Ageism is so pathetic. whatever..

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    If I were in your shoes, I'd see it as an invasion of my independant life. It'd feel totally weird to have my dad creating friendships with my friends, who I'd want to be able to go to in order to get away from home life. Having that good, solid seperation between my friends and my family is key.

Still, it could be that your father is having a hard time reaching out to you and is therefore trying to find out how you are and how you're feeling/thinking about moving away from home...?

As for the divorced mom (another post), well, aside from being a little weird, is it really that wrong? :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think Andy has the same sense of irony that I do and what we were doing was parodying the original spirit of this thread, which could be interpreted as "ageist" in the reverse manner!! ;)

7. The middle aged strike back!!!

Pelt them with carpet slippers, lads!!!! Roast them alive in boiling pile ointment!!!

:hyper:

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1!

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dude! Try it, you may like it! There is something to be said for women in their 40s!

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :D :p lol...Man this is a funny thread. :D

I think it's good your dad is keeping tabs on you. You little heathen!!!j/k

I like seeing what all the cool kids are up to these days
    daddy O. but ya bro it is wack that your pops is all up in your kool aid and don't even know tha flav'a. You just need to bust him to the curb homey.

Peace out, Yo

Word to ya mother.
    :D :D :D :D :D

11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    To the two significant points to this thread:

1) Agreed that if it seems like he is just doing the "dad" thing and checking up on you, I'd approach him with the whole "please don't invade my privacy, how would you like it if your parents were buddies with all your friends when you were my age?" thing. If its really innocent and he is just making sure you are okay, then you might just have to move on. If he is on it 24/7 and not acting like a respectable dad anymore and is talking to young girls and all that junk, then someone (maybe not you) may have to talk to him about that.

and

2) To the dude with the hot mom hitting on him, don't you know that is what some dreams are made of?!?! :eek:

(j/k, I could see how that would be uncomfortable too... but you know if someone else told you this and this never happened to you, you'd probably see it this way also. And at least she's divorced ;) )

12. Andruca, hit that and rub it in his face, like Finch from American Pie

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Although I didn't do it with THAT particular friend's mother I've been involved with women more age than mine in several ocations. The most remarkable was when I ran into an "incident" with another friend's mum. I was 20 by the time and had a group of friends, girls and boys, varied ages, with whom I used to go out. And there was this very nice (also divorced) woman. We felt attracted and started dating. She had briefly mentioned she had a son a couple of times. Being 39 (I found out later, she looked like 30 YO or so) I expected her son to be just a kid. One day (a couple of weeks after we started dating) I was picking her up at her home and when I enter the building, there comes this former schoolmate of mine (who I've kept seing from time to time after school) who's coming inside too. The typical "... so, you live here?... what a coincidence, man!... I'm picking up the girl I'm dating, you know..." kind of talk. We take the elevator and... coincidence #2!, 8th. floor for both! When we reach the 8th. floor everything was clear, but none of us had said a word during the lift (we were calculating possibilities, -at least I WAS!-). Until we opened the elevator's door, when he looked me in the face and said: "Hey, you're not fu*king my mum, are you?!?!". Devastating! I kept dating her for some time, but had some moral issues (call me stupid, in fact I AM!) that kept me from maintainig that relationship.

ANDRUCA

14. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    YIKES!

Yes, that would be certified as "an uncomfortable situation". HOLY MOLY!

That has got to be the worst question to face in which the answer is "yes" to. Ack.

I can undertstand the dilemma and why you left. I mean, who wants to have a grown man and/or someone your age coming up to you and asking you if you are doing the nasty with their mom?! And then have to see them walking down the street or something?

I'd have made this classic face ---> :smug:

hahahaha. Sorry man...tough situation.

-T

15. haha, sweet

16. hahaha, that rules

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats a great well rounded perspective John. :)

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    LMAO!

This is my favorite thread in recent memory.