Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parental Problem (Need Advice)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Ok here is the deal, my band is playing at a battle of the bands on sunday, and the guitarists mom wants to come. that poses a problem for us, because she is really against cursing, and in 2 of the 5 songs we are gonna play, we curse (not to try to be cool or anything, just as artistic expression)...

if she hears us curse she will prolly flip out on us after the show and give us a big lecture about how we should be more godly (that is just who she is, don't let this turn into a religion discussion)

so naturally we don't want to go, not cause we hate her or anything, just to avoid a lecture...

but unfortunatly for us, we practice at his house...and she said that if she doesn't go we can't practice there anymore...

so naturally we have a problem on our hands...i would like to know different views (from kids and adults) on what we should do in this situation...

mods: if this for whatever reason gets out of hand please move it to the lounge, thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    make up a bunch of really silly words that don't quite fit into the rhythm of the song to replace the curse words, this will surely get a good response.

like muckluck

3. sounds like a nosy mom to me...

how disgusting.

it sounds like she knows you guys play music thats 'the devil' to her, and so shes gonna play the dumb bitch game and try to spy on you guys, "if i cant come to watch you, you guys cant practice here anymore"

it sounds like a fishy ass nosy mom.

nothing i hate more.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Do it anyways.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    who cares what she thinks? make sure you make her listen to lots of loud crap bands before you go on so that she leaves cause of a head ache.

*or tell her to be quiet and if she doesnt like the music, you wont practice at her house anymore, and to not come to your shows

6. Well, I say try and atleast get 1-2 more practices in before the battle of the bands and try and get them at like your house or one of the other band member's houses...Or, you could go for it and get the lecture, but have a better chance of winning cuz you practiced.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this thread just became very uncool

8. ah, I hate dilemmas like this......well there's always the no-fear approach and just play the show and pretend she isn't there....I know her presence is going to do a number on the performance...try your best to either ignore her and do the music as is, or ignore her and change the cusses to "scab" words, kinda like what Wrong Robot said.....I don't think changing an f or s bomb into a gentler word will kill the band.

Then again, if all shes' going to do is lecture, a lecture is nothing compared to a good solid show......aren't some rockstars lectured after sabatoging stuff sometimes?..

talk to your bandmates and see what they say, I wish you luck dude and tell us the aftermath!

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    agreed, i should have been more clear

we are NOT changing our songs...the choices are

1) she comes and we still practice but must survive a lecture,

2) she doesn't come, and we find a new place to practice

10. I'm sure you can survive a lecture...a lecture really doesn't involve breaking your stuff or throwing you around because she is mad. Just go for it man, it's 1 damn lecture, not gonna kill you!

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Its just a lecture. Like I said, do it anyways.

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Do the show the way you rehearsed it.

I personally would add a representation of a painting by one of those medieval painters, commissioned by the church, of nude women and such just to spice up the occasion.

But I was always a rebel ...

You never get artistic freedom, if you don't
    take it. People always want you to live in their mold, follow their rules, play their game.

Someday, it becomes time to grow up, and start to say what you want to say, and speak with your own voice; not the voice of your friend's well meaning and nice, but manipulative, mother.

Thor

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it were me, I'd say "Sure you can come. But don't expect to like us. No offense but you're not out target market". She'll turn up expecting a lot worse than a few swear words........

14. If you can't find another place to practice and you are unwilling to change the words then do the show. Take the lecture. Rock and Roll. That's how it works.

have a good show

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tell the singer to become non understandable at that point. That's what rock n' roll is all about... or punk in this case. :meh:

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No offense, but I highly doubt your swear words are that important. I mean, I'm sure it sounds all angry and awesome to say ****, but it's not that important. Frankly, I think a lot of "agressive" bands are too reliant upon swear words, they seem to think it makes them sound "more in your face and hardcore" but in reality it makes them sound childish. But swear if you want, but if these lyrics are that important to you, sing them the way they were intended to be sung, if you are going to sell out this young, I'm sure I'll see you on tour with Good Charlotte soon enough. "OooOooooOOh we are so punk rock, but we don't want to offend anyone or hurt anyones feelings."

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm gonna start a band. And we are gonna have songs that say every un PC thing we can think of. and when we run out, we are just gonna change the orders. ya.

18. O man, I'm at the same age as you. But I would never put up with this crap, NEVER. I wouldn't even stand around for the lecture. Personally I would let her come because that's her freedom. Now excersize your freedom to play and then not listen to some bull**** lecture. If she is providing the transportation, put some earplugs on and concetrate on your music. I've had problems with religious parents before, and trust me the only respect I gave them was not breaking there face in for the disrespect they gave me. My last guitarist was definitly influenced by his parents, and it was the downfall for him in the band. My stance is rock n' roll. Not some christian acoustic pop rock(no offense to the christian acoustic pop "rockers") So like I say, it's leather or death!

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Survive the lecture. It won't be the last.

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I found this thread while searching for " teenage angst"