Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parents and Older Siblings: What do you do about bullies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm just wondering. It's not currently an issue, but I've had younger brothers who were bullied and it took every bit of willpower I had to not go kick some ass. Beating up a 14 year old when you are 18 doesn't look good/gets jail time.

And I know it's going to be just as hard if my kids some day get bullied. Probably actually worse.

So parents, what do you do? Narcing on the kid gets your kid beat up, telling him to fight back might get him beat up. Telling him to ignore it teaches the kid to bottle up his/her emotions causing mental damage (I did that, but not with bullying, now I'm crazy).

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My kids will know how to fight. My kids will know when violence is acceptable. My kids will not be bullies, nor will they be bullied. If anyone ever pushes them, or runs their mouth too far, that kid will be in pain.

My kids will know some judo, and various holds...

I have never thrown a punch... or atleast I've never thrown the first punch. My parents told always told me that as long as I'm defending myself, then kick that kids ass.

That will by my policy... if you are attacked, then beat his/her ass. And when adults try and stop it, you stop. Don't keep going.. The more you cooperate, the more it seems like the other kid is the bad guy.

I will not tolerate my kids instigating fights/bullying, though.

And if someone is picking on my little sisters or cousins, then I go and punk them around a bit... I push them around, use colorful language, and basicly scare the sh** out of them.

No one has ever bothered my sisters or cousins again after I've dealt with them.

3. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    call there parents and give them a warning. If bullying dosen't stop attack the parents. :spit: don't see why my kid should get hurt because u can't parent or don't care.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It really depends upon where the bullying is taking place. If it is at school, or on school grounds, go directly to the school administration and ask nicely (do not threaten or rant) what their policy on bullying is. If they have one, observe the policy to the fullest extent and document your case with exact examples, dates and times. Then present your well-documented case to the administration. If they fail to take action, get a lawyer. If it is not at school, get a restraining order against the offender.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Spit on them and then poke them in the eye with a stick.

brad cook

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I shall teach my kids the Five-Step Exploding Heart Maneuver.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My old man gave me some great advice. I use to get bullied when I was a kid very badly. He said if you want them to stop kicking your butt just whoop them very bad and they won't do it again. I said well what if I can't win if I fight him, I tried fighting back. He said well if he is already picking on you and always does hit him first next time, if he is going to bully you anyway just make sure it counts. It's crazy what happens when you face your enemies and go on the offensive! Imagine what the kid thought that kicked my butt for weeks straight when I just walked up and blasted him in the chops! He was crying and flopping around like a fish out of water but he or any of his bully friends never picked on me again because of just that one punch. It worked when I was a kid, but I wouldn't recommend this action for adults.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually that reminds me of a similar incident as a child. This kid was picking on me all day when a bunch of us were playing in the woods. Everyone always talked about how he was a karate badass etc..etc... I went home and as my dad was working in his garden I told him about the kid picking on my and he said something along the lines of "Brad, sometimes you just have to whip some ass." So with that wise council in mind I set my jaw and headed right back to the woods. I waited for the kid to say something to me again and when he did I went tornado on him. I just remember laying into him with a flurry of fists and yelling every cuss word that came to my head and he ran away. He never ever messed with me again even through high school. So...I guess there might be something behind that advice but it's a little bit different in this freakishly litigious society. I'm definitely going to tell my kids not to let people wail on you.

brad cook

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sadly, these days, even fighting back is cause for arrestsl, lawsuits, explusions...

What's the point of teaching your kid how to fight if it puts the family $100,000 in the hole, or lands him in jail, and gives him a criminal record that follows him around for years?

Of course, my siblings and I exude pheremones that touch people on the basic level, warning them not to mess with us. They don't.

Don't teach them how to fight. Teach them where to hit. Anatomy is a wonderful thing.

10. Then Run

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If a man comes at you with a passion fruit, don't come crying to me.

12. Have your kids/siblings learn Kung Fu (Gong Fu).

The whole idea of Kung Fu is self-defense. That's why there's no aggressive attacks -- it's all countermoves. At least that's what I've heard about it.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No idea what that means.

brad cook

14. Just don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Like one of the Blue Collar comics said;" I don't know how many of them it was going to take to kick my ass, but I knew how many they were gonna use!"

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Made sense to me, and in the end, that's all that really matters, snoogums.

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    My kids are a little too young to face that yet (it's coming), but first, I would contact the school and have them arrange a meeting with myself and the bully's parents.

I would hope that it would be civil and that the kid's parents would handle it appropriately, including making sure my kid didn't get any "payback."

If that failed, I'd ask if they would prefer to have their asses sued for negligence and assault (parents are legally responsible for the actions of their child) or to have their asses kicked.

17. You have to teach them according to their personality/physicality. My brother is a big, strong person. I am not. My brother has a hot temper and can easily defend himself, so my dad always told him "Fight if you have to, but hold back and try not to hurt them too much"

For me, my dad always said "I know you're not a fighter, but if its unavoidable, fight dirty and with no regets"

Honestly, if I tried to fight with just punches to the jaw/nose/other normally acceptable places, I would of lost every fight I've ever been in (which luckily, isn't much).

So yeah, I've kicked dudes in the groin, and then add a knee to the chest (or gut, wherever it lands) when they double over

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Can't say the didn't have it coming to them.

19. Add me to the list of kids who got picked up. When I was real young, a kid kept pinching me so my mum told me to whack him next time. I punched him in the stomach, he cried and never went near me again. Same thing (remove the pinching and add punching) in high school. One day I snapped, made him look like a tool in front of half the school and he left me alone. And, best of all, because I made him look so stupid, he didn't get me into trouble because he didn't want to be teased.

Leigh

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i have a quite word with whoever it is, and they never bother my sis/bro again :hyper: