Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parents destroying band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BLNDPNGWN, Mar 1, 2001.

1. BLNDPNGWN

BLNDPNGWN

Nov 28, 2000
    Parents get in the way of band meets and jam sessions all the time. My rythm guitarist couldn't show up for any of our practices because his mom never met the rest of the band. We were going to go meet her so we could finally practice as a complete band. He wasn't home so we wound up kicking him out becaus of his parents idea that we're messed up. How have your parents messed up your band/music life?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Really depends on your age, doesn't it? :D

3. well ive been in a band(in oklahoma)for about two years and it was great untill my dad quit his job and we moved up to michigan. now i rarely get to even see them so all my hopes are completly ruined

all i can say is that im getting the hell away from them a.s.a.p.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My mother nagged me all of the time after I joined my first band when I was still in high school. "That's a waste of time! Why don't you find a job?" When I finally quit (and it wasn't because of her) she said, "Why are you quitting? Don't you like playing with them?" I received absolutely no support from her when I was first starting out and vowed that I would never treat my kids that way and looked forward to the day when I could watch them play music. Sadly, neither of them are interested in playing an instrument and the only music that they listen to is rap.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    If the kid is cool and fits the band then you should take care of whatever has to be done to make it work. meeting parents is an easy thing to do and can only help. him not being there if he agreed to be there shows some unreliability. thats worse than meeting parents.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    even as a teen living at home, my parents were always cool about letting the band jam at my house. as long as i was handling my other responsibilities of course.

7. parents don't really get in the way of my band.. it's our damn schedules! my drummer and lead guitarist both have jobs. Oh well. We'll get more done over the summer.

8. My parents are actually very supportive of me playing with other musicians even though I'm not in a band. My mom usually says "why aren't you playing alon with your friends?" so that's a good thing. It really sucks that your parents would get in the way of something as great as a band practice. Playing with friends and just jamming out is the coolest experience ever, in my opinion.

9. My parents have always been very supportive, and I think they have really enjoyed watching both myself and my band progress musicly.

I think it also depends on if your parents think you're really serious about it as to how much they support you. Of course some parents are just asses and will never be supportive, in that case just do what you can on your own.

10. parents are no problem here!

they even help us out! by driving our gear and stuff... :)

and my dad likes very much when I´m playing the bass (because it makes little noise unplugged....) :D

11. My parents fit that description. My parents dont like the fact that I spend so much money on a "hobby" even though Im more serious about this than anything Ive ever done. They arent about to let me upgrade my gear. They yell at me that Im being to loud when I dont even have an amp.

And Im offended when they say "stop playing that guitar in here" or refer to it as "that thing"

Cuz its a bass, not a guitar.

So be happy if you have nice parents

12. BLNDPNGWN

BLNDPNGWN

Nov 28, 2000
    Parents should get involved, but they think you're wasting your life. But where they failed in parenting skills, I make up in drug abuse.-ha ha!

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I never got beef about being in a band. It was the long hair, the ear ring. Stupid stuff like that. I love my parents. They're the best thing in my life!!!! All you peeps that have unsupportive parents you hate, just think of all of the peeps that don't have both or any!!!

14. My dad's out of town a lot, so when he IS in town, he sorta likes to know everything I'm doing, and never gives me crap about it. Unless I were to say...start smoking or drinking or doing drugs or something. Fortunately for me I'm not influenced by any of my friends or classmates that do, and about 75% of my entire grade does.
    My mom once saw our main guitarist smoking at a bus stop once after band practice, and was just curious, but didn't give me any crap for hanging out with him or being in a band with him. :)
    Now if only I could get some better gear...:D

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont have to worry about what my parents think anymore, but ive been playing bass for about 16 years now, and can tell you in all those years not one time have I ever heard either one of them say hey that sounds good, or keep it up, or anything to promote encouragement, it was always, turn that down or off, dont spend money on gear when you should save for something better. Im 31 now and still hear all the same lines from them when i was a kid. I got good on bass just to spite them. So all of you that have suportive parents you are very lucky. Dont get me wrong now, I love um but damn if they just arent so negative.

16. cass, sorry to hear that. My mom supports me whenever she doesn't have a headache. My dad thinks it's a phase =P He refuses to spend any more $$ on equipment for me (he paid for my 2 basses and my first amp). Me and my mom went 50/50 for my hartke 3500 and for my Genz Benz 212t-xb. Soon I'll be getting a Warwick Corvette STD 5-string on my own =P Just have to get $900! hehe

17. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    For those that dont have supportive parents, have you talked to the seriously about what your music plans are? As a parent, I would support my son in what ever he wishes to do with his life, however,there is a matter of paying your dues to earn their support. Scholl being the top of the list, prove to them that it is the first priority and keep up your grades and you will see that they will be leaning a little towards your way of thinking. Show them that you are as responsible in your everyday life as you are with your $1000 bass.

Put yourself in their shoes for a second, how many musicians make a good living only playing music, of those individuals, what was their level of education and training in other areas? Your chances of getting signed and making a million dollars while still in school are slim at best, thats what parents want you to realize.

But dont take my word for it, talk to them about it.

Mike

18. True. But i'm not aiming to be a professional bassist in a band that tours the world. I plan on teaching music theory. Bass is my main focus though. Being a performer will still be my thing but not my main focus at first.

19. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    My dad's always supportive, my mom didn't used to be so much, but she's gotten better. She kept asking me if I wanted lessons when I thought I was doing good, that didn't help too much...and she asked me if I was gonna buy a real guitar next.

She's cool now, they both say I'm sounding good, and that's the only response I'll actually have positive results with. My friend gets better when people diss him and stuff (although he is a guitar wizard, and anyone dissing him is an idiot, but back before he was an expert) which I don't understand, but I can't, and don't need to, work like that.

20. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I'm in the middle here -- my parents don't say ANYTHING about my playing bass. all my dad cares about is that I go to college (which I hate with a passion, incidentally).