1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parents how would you respond to your underage child being served alcohol ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    It's called college

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    College? Now thats a late start!

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    As long as it's only one or two, it's a safe environment, and they're 16+ then it's fine.

Got my first beer in a bar at 16 (without parents). Had drinks at home with my parents consent long before that.

You can't expect kids to get to 18 (never mind 21) never having touched alcohol, then sudenly say "it's OK now - drink as much as you want", without it resulting in a mess to clean up in the morning.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I couldnt even imgine turning 21 without ever having a drink before, though it would definitely be one wild night!

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    College? Hah. Had my first bender at 13. Nothing like being puking sick and hungover from creme de menthe to teach you to be very respectful around booze.

I prefer the take our European friends have on it. We make it this mystical thing here in the US, is it any wonder people go nuts at 21?

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    As long as i (the parent) is the one serving it and my kids understand that until they are good at it, they should only get drunk with me.

7. Well, I started drinking with friends at about early 15 late 14. My parents didn't mind at long as I wouldn't get drunk. Guess I'd do the same with my children. But, if I'd find my kid (future kid) very very drunk before let's say 16, I'd talk to him and the ones who gave him that amount of alcohol.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would start with the person who served the alcohol, and then move on to my child. If it wasn't an acceptable situation, I would be really upset.

-Mike

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

By who? Other kids or adults? Either way I would get involved but there are different actions depending on who is doing the serving.

If it's other kids I would talk to my kid and let her or him know that there is NO tolerance for that in my house. If it happened again I would talk to the kids parents.

If it were another adult providing the alcohol I would immediately get the police involved. You just don't cross that line if you are an adult.

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Your friends mom is an idiot and continually broke the law. If she did that with one of my kids I'd own her house right now.

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Don't you work for MTV? One of the primary influences on the wild lives of today's youth? Just curious.

12. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yep. But MTV does not define my life or the lives of my kids. Do you think every executive at ABC does ballroom dancing?

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yes. :D

Now, I'm just pulling your chain, but as someone who not too long ago was surreptitiously drinking, this thread (and all the other "Parents: What do you..." threads) is a very interesting look at the other side of the coin. Very enlightening.